• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Threw a tune up in the ol' Dakota this morning

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been having a engine miss. Worse when cold and/ or wet. The truck has 150+
on the odometer and I don't know the history so I stopped by NAPA and picked up some Champ plugs, a set of wires and a cap and rotor. The old plugs didn't look to bad other than they were Autolites. The cap was crap with lots of deposits on the terminals but no carbon tracks. Now the wires were a different story. 4 out of the 6 were originals. Get them out'a there. Boy, what a difference in how smoothly it runs. Took it for a short drive and it's happy again. So am I.

I've been having a engine miss. Worse when cold and/ or wet. The truck has 150+
on the odometer and I don't know the history so I stopped by NAPA and picked up some Champ plugs, a set of wires and a cap and rotor. The old plugs didn't look to bad other than they were Autolites. The cap was crap with lots of deposits on the terminals but no carbon tracks. Now the wires were a different story. 4 out of the 6 were originals. Get them out'a there. Boy, what a difference in how smoothly it runs. Took it for a short drive and it's happy again. So am I.

Sounds great!

Yeah I need to do the same thing on my 99 4x4 Dakota SLT 5.2ltr., cap rotor wires plugs & a hotter coil, I got with my Summit Bucks a while ago, but it only has 53k thou, it runs freaken' great still, with absolutely no issues at all but, I also have Edelbrock chrome "Ooooh" shorty Headers & new EBC slotted rotors & brakes to put on at the same time too... I'm just waiting for the brakes to need to be replaced, then I'm doing it all at the same time... I will do a shock change too...

Had a chance to get her out on the highway the last couple days. 400 mile cruise range on a tank of unleaded. (18 gal.) 22 mpg !!!! I'm impressed. 99% highway, 60 mph, cruise on, 1/2 ac use, light load in the bed. After spending 12 hours in my 96 I (and my wife) find it more comfortable than my 2000. tmm

Congratulations Mike, some times it's the simple things that get's over looked, My 85 Ramcharger ran nice and smooth as long as I was in the gas, but when I got up to speed it had a stumble, I threw a good used distributor in the RV 318 and it smoothed everything out.
The shaft had wiggle and I was surprised it even ran it had so much wiggle in it.

Had a chance to get her out on the highway the last couple days. 400 mile cruise range on a tank of unleaded. (18 gal.) 22 mpg !!!! I'm impressed. 99% highway, 60 mph, cruise on, 1/2 ac use, light load in the bed. After spending 12 hours in my 96 I (and my wife) find it more comfortable than my 2000. tmm

sounds like the thing to do, they always run better when tuned up & had a bath...LOL... 22 mpg is damn good

X2 wish I were getting that!

I have an 99 4x4 w/a 5.2/318 well prepped/tuned & don't get that either, maybe on a flat hwy, with wind at my tail for the whole tank... 19 is a great # for mine

I think 19 is good for a 318 4 wheel drive. tmm

15-17 is more like reality, 15 around town & in the hills where I live, is normal, since I almost never get to drive on a freeway/flat hwy with wind at my back...LOL...

Back