• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

The introduction of Nat

Nat

I Wanna New Truck. :)
Reaction score
I Want a Pickup Truck!!

Hi! My last car was a 1985 Toyota MR2 which I sold along with my soul when I had to. Much as I would rather have her back, I need something I can actually put a grocery bag AND a passenger in!

I also hope to be buying a house soon and the one I like best is a couple of miles down a farm road which probably gets plowed three days after a snow storm. I will certainly need to buy some materials to put some of it in order; and of course I will want to stop at tag sales for old cabinets or furniture or whatever will make the place mine. I will also be moving!

So I am thinking a pickup. Used because I am not made of money (note: Buying furniture at a tag sale)! But I don't want repair bills.

Just off the top of my head, and keeping in mind that I have not bought a car since about 1990 (Living in the City will do that) and have no idea what newer features are available, I have these features I am looking for:

4X4
Manual shift
King cab
6' bed

I think all but manual shift are standard now? And manual may be harder to find now than it was 25 years ago.

Bright color that isn't red

That's harder. Maybe better now than ten years ago, but boy have we had a couple of decades with invisible silver grey cars that you can't see in the fog!! How did the mechanics pull that money-making scheme off?

And sensible safety features like Anti-Lock brakes and whatever has been invented since the '90s! And VISIBLE rear and brake lights! Don't get me started!

I do NOT need slick, fancy, swoopy, attention-grabbing, huge, stupid-tough, or anything that doesn't look like a basic truck to me.

I hear Toyota is STILL the most solid brand as my MR2 was.

Any advice, suggestions, ideas, comments??

Last edited:
Hey Nat, welcome to the site. My suggestion, go Mopar! OK, I'm biased. If you can find a decent old Toyota pickup go for it, they seem to be pretty dame tough. They used to be everywhere but I hardly ever see them around me (Minnesota) anymore. I heard cash for clunkers took a lot of trucks off the road up there in New England so that doesn't help. Geez, I'm bring helpful, aren't I? Good luck in your search, maybe someone else here closer to you knows somebody that has one and can help more.

Welcome from MI, Full size or Mid size truck? Manual trans option is getting hard to find maybe 1in 5 have a manual. What is your preference import or domestic? You did mention Toyota, I see a lot more domestic then import at work. Good luck with your search.

Welcome from over here in Massachusetts . Even though I'm with Mob and are a lil bias to Mopars , Buy what you like and keep in mind what It'll cost to maintain and run . If your like most of us , your going to want to make it yours , So make that part of the equation as well .

Back