• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tapping noise

rick5.2

Reaction score
Hi how are you all doing? I had a question... When I first start the 5.2 Magnum in my 1993 Dodge Dakota there are no noises but after it is driven a bit and warmed up I can hear a tick tick tick noise coming from underneath, main bearing? If I rev it up a bit it seems to quiet a bit but at idle tick tick tick. It has 125,000 miles and I just did a oil change (which makes me wonder) I used Havoline 10w30 which is the correct viscosity. Maybe just a coincidence? Is there some bearing replacements in my future? Maybe I will upload a video and you can hear it for yourself.

Make a vid if you can. To me all those 90's magnum engines make a ticking noise at idle even my 06 HEMI I would even say has a different sounding ticking noise. If you have never heard the ticking before though I would be concerned. I don't think a bearing going bad would quiet down though when you revved it up but I maybe wrong about that.

What's your oil pressure? You can get a test one at HF and screw it into the back of the block.

The gauge on the dash shows normal pressure but who knows how accurate that is. The noise was not there until now so it kind of worries me. I was thinking about getting an oil pressure gauge and threading it into the sending unit bore, probably should. I ruled out tappet or rocker arm noise because I used my trusty big flathead screwdriver and listened at the valve covers; all is quiet. Stick your head under the front end and there it is, open the hood and listen at the top of the motor and nothing. Could also be the cam maybe? Roller cams last a long time as far as I know. I'll have to do a little more investigating but when the engine is cold you cannot hear anything its when the antifreeze and oil have warmed up and I am thinking the rod bores have warmed and expanded you hear the noise. Could also be a main too. I was going to get some Lucas oil stabilizer think that might help a bit?

Make a vid if you can. To me all those 90's magnum engines make a ticking noise at idle even my 06 HEMI I would even say has a different sounding ticking noise. If you have never heard the ticking before though I would be concerned. I don't think a bearing going bad would quiet down though when you revved it up but I maybe wrong about that.

Correct. If anything it would get louder and faster.

Quick question . Have you allway's used Havoline 10w30 ?

Exactly that's why I am skeptical it is a rod bearing.

My 00 Ram did that too. I would try spraying WD-40 on your idler pullies. I did that and the noise stopped so I replaced the pullies and the belt with a Goodyear Gatorback and all went away.

Back