• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tallhair's New Hides for the Durango Thread - Opinions sought and welcome

tallhair

Mod-Hair-ator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I'm leaning toward replacing my 10 year old Cooper Discoverer A/T tyres (bought them in jolly old England LOL). They are 31x10.5 15's.

It came with some 235x75.15 Good for Years Wranglers and I put the Coopers on in approx 2006 and they have been some noisy bastages for the duration. Local go to mechanics and all around good guys told me the were "cupped" so that's why they have been making some much of a ruckus. It seems to want to wonder around if I let it in a wind and howls like the wheel bearings were going out so that's why I took it in to ask at the time. They assured me the wheel bearings were OK and it was the tires making all the noise

I'm looking for a good handling and reasonably quieter tire that can handle a litte light snow once in a while. I won't be doing ANY off-roading intentionally.

The vehicle in question is a 99 Durango SLT 4 X 4 with 86K ... I just hit the 86K on my way home from work yesterday matter of fact.

I'm leaning toward the following.

download

download

OR

download

download

I'm used to the height and bulk of the 31.10.5s and think the 235x75s may look a bit smallish now.

I'm leaning toward the big 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/Ts or the Michelin LTX A/T2, Defender LTX M/S, or LTX M/S2

What do you guys recommend and why? If you have experience I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far :)

BONUS question:

I'm thinking of splurging on new shocks while I'm at it ... THESE BAD BOYS

Again the Durango R (R is for RACE) has 86K ... but is 17 years old and is riding around on OEM pogo sticks. If i keep daily driving this pig I'm thinking I want it to handle and drive better LOL :). FYI It's been a rough bugger since new on anything less than a smooth surface and age has not diminished, or for that matter increased, the teeth rattling on washboard rippled asphalt we're known for out here in the sticks version of the land of Abe.

download

Back