• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Smog question

donnyb

Reaction score
I will need a pickup to pull a fifth wheel. I need to spend a few weeks in California and would like to buy a PU while there and drive it back to Florida. Will there be any difference if I buy in CA versus FL? That is, will the CA truck have extra smog stuff?
I am looking for a 2005 - 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 or maybe a 3500 although I am flexible. Also have not decided on gas versus diesel, but it looks like diesel may be the way to go if pulling a fifth wheel.

Buy in Florida and save the fuel cost getting it home. Yes California vechicals are going to have smog stuff that maybe hard to find in Florida if it needs to be replaced.

Cali smog should be different from the other 49 states for gas engines, but if your state doesn't test don't worry about it. I don't know if Cali diesel is different than the other 49, but same goes if your state doesn't test, don't worry about it.
Diesel is great for towing but your maintenance costs will be more than a gasser, if you have a trailer hooked to it all the time go with the diesel, but if you only tow a couple of times a year go with a gasser

Back