• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

SMFI QUESTION

niceolddart

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the 8-liter V10 & having long cranking times before it starts cold. I am in the process of checking fuel pressure because I'm pretty sure it doesn't hold pressure in the fuel rails when it sits any length of time, usually 10 minutes or more. I did push the schrader valve in on the test port & NO fuel sprayed out. (When it wasn't running of course) It runs fine after it starts a few seconds later, but does have a misfire at first start, like injectors aren't getting enough fuel right away, but runs good after that. I think the pump is working OK but the residual valve, or whatever it's called, is not holding pressure in the fuel rails & leaks back into the tank. It's basically used for hauling scrap metal once a week & I would like to fix this problem on the cheap if I can. Has anybody installed a 1-way pressure valve in the fuel line to keep the fuel pressure in the system, instead of replacing the pump module. I have read on a Jeep forum they do this because it's a problem too.

I just checked my fuel pressure when turning the key to the on position with a gauge. It has no fuel pressure at the test port until I cycle the key 3-4 times & even then it only gets to 10 or so PSI. When I start it, the pressure gauge only reads 30PSI when it's running & I think it should read around 50PSI. I guess I need to replace the pump module. Now, it seems there are 2 different pump assemblies, 1 for a 34gal. tank & 1 for a 35gal. tank. How can I tell the difference, there are no visible markings on the tank telling me which one it has aside from the part # & build data. Any ideas?

Give a dealer your vin. number and they can tell you what fuel tank it came with. If you ask them for your cost on the part and can they get it. they might help ya abit with that info. Sometimes you can change just the pump and not the assembly.

Give a dealer your vin. number and they can tell you what fuel tank it came with. If you ask them for your cost on the part and can they get it. they might help ya abit with that info. Sometimes you can change just the pump and not the assembly.
I'd rather not get involved with a dealer at all if I can help it & I figured if I have to remove the whole assembly, I might as well replace the complete module. The truck does have 140,000 miles on it, so I'll just do it all since it will be out anyway. I do plan on getting a good quality module.

I got the part # from the tank & looked it up on Mopar Parts Source. The part # has been superseded but I found it to be a 34gal. tank.
Thanks again for your help.
PS, I watched a few videos where the bed was jacked-up on that side to remove the pump instead of dropping the tank.

Back