• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shouldn't this forum be either Pre-81 or up to 1980

ChallengerGary

Reaction score
Looking at the forum headings, should this be for either "Pre-1981 trucks" or "up to 1980?" The body style changed in 1981 and my 1980 clearly belongs in this forum

I agree. I have a 1980 as well. It is more like the late seventies than the later 80's

Joey, I think it should be 87 on down because almost all of the parts from the 80's trucks swap directly over to the 72-80 trucks. Plus the trucks were still carburated at that time as well. An 85 Dodge D100 is almost the same as a 73 D100 aside from the grille and some interior pieces. The body lines are slightly different as well.

Whereas an 85 D100 is a totally different truck all together than a 95 RAM. I think the cutoff point should be when fuel injection came into play. That way the tech talk of the forums are consistant while some of the cosmetics may be different. Otherwise you'll be having guys asking about their 1bbl slant six in a forum with guys talking about brand new trucks.

Just my 2 cents :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Joey, I think it should be 87 on down because almost all of the parts from the 80's trucks swap directly over to the 72-80 trucks. Plus the trucks were still carburated at that time as well. An 85 Dodge D100 is almost the same as a 73 D100 aside from the grille and some interior pieces. The body lines are slightly different as well.

Whereas an 85 D100 is a totally different truck all together than a 95 RAM. I think the cutoff point should be when fuel injection came into play. That way the tech talk of the forums are consistant while some of the cosmetics may be different. Otherwise you'll be having guys asking about their 1bbl slant six in a forum with guys talking about brand new trucks.

Just my 2 cents :biggrin1:

there is alot more difference from 1981+ body style compared to the 1972-1980 dodge trucks then what comes to sight from quick glance, fenders are different, cab roof is taller on 1981+ and shaped different. the noticable body line as you meationed on 1981+ and the tail lights and much more

there is alot more difference from 1981+ body style compared to the 1972-1980 dodge trucks then what comes to sight from quick glance, fenders are different, cab roof is taller on 1981+ and shaped different. the noticable body line as you meationed on 1981+ and the tail lights and much more

Yeah but what I'm getting at is the fact that the mechanical parts of the truck are almost identical. You can swap engines, suspension, rear ends, transmissions etc etc and they'll bolt right up.

I'm more concerned with the mechanical side than whether or not the tail lights are different or whether the body lines don't match up perfect. It would kinda be like having separate forums for Dusters, Demons, Darts and Valiants over at FABO because they look different. Doesn't matter that they look different because a ton of the parts interchange so one question can be broadly answered by many people with many different years and models.

Like I said an 84 D100 is very similar to a 73 D100, yet has absolutely nothing in common with a 95 RAM. So why have it grouped in the same forum?

I vote 87 on down :)

As long as I can find info and enjoy some cool truck builds

My ramcharger is an 85 model

Yeah but what I'm getting at is the fact that the mechanical parts of the truck are almost identical. You can swap engines, suspension, rear ends, transmissions etc etc and they'll bolt right up.

I'm more concerned with the mechanical side than whether or not the tail lights are different or whether the body lines don't match up perfect. It would kinda be like having separate forums for Dusters, Demons, Darts and Valiants over at FABO because they look different. Doesn't matter that they look different because a ton of the parts interchange so one question can be broadly answered by many people with many different years and models.

Like I said an 84 D100 is very similar to a 73 D100, yet has absolutely nothing in common with a 95 RAM. So why have it grouped in the same forum?

I vote 87 on down :)

On the other hand, suspesion rear end, and sheetmetal are all pretty much the same 1981-1993. And the 1972-1980 is the same truck with different sheetmetal. I'm thinking pre-1994 if we are including the 1981-up. And, a 1993 is still an 18 year old truck. Just my two cents.

I believe 81-93 is considered first gen Ram. Than 94-02 second gen and so on. So it would make sense in that regards to list it as pre 81.

I vote for the pre 81, BTW my '78 D100 Custom is Venezuelan built, when I bought a US built '75 donor car the hood was too narrow, the tailgate didn't fit so there are even more differences

I believe 81-93 is considered first gen Ram. Than 94-02 second gen and so on. So it would make sense in that regards to list it as pre 81.

I might be late but why don't they just add more forums? There could be pre 81, first gen, second gen and third gen and everyone would be happy and shut up.

Why 87 and back? Just because they switched to injectors later? That would make a lot of sense to have 81-87 and then have 88-93. Pretty soon you have a forum for each year. I have an 85 dodge w150 but doesn't everyone here have a dodge? It doesn't make any sense to have a different forum just for injectors. Most of the stuff is the same 81-93 and with a bigger forum you are more likely to get help from more people. Now why don't we just settle this and quit making a big deal?

Hey OrangeCrate - just noticed your screen name - I kind of dubbed my '80 D150 The Or'ng Crate Express

or'ng crate express decals.jpg

pic 1.jpg

Here's my lil' redneck express. I don't have decals though.198.jpg

198.jpg

Back