• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Serpentine belt

dodgewade

Reaction score
I bought a 95 Dakota with a 318 in it. Will the serpentine belt set up on it fit an older model 318?

If the crank pulley will interchange? Water pump will need to be updated as well as accessories.
Water pump will interchage. The accessories maybe the biggest problem. On the 95 the accessories should mount on a bracket mount to the heads and engine block.
No I have not tried it but have looked at it.
If you have a couple hours try it only thing that can happen would be buying new gaskets which you would need anyway if it works.

It may be too late but thought I would add my 2 cents worth. From my experience with this swap you need everything from the timing cover forward. So timing cover, water pump, accessory brackets, accessories, pulleys, harmonic balancer with some applications, and the bolts of course.

There are different mounting locations and bosses on the 91-96 engines. Also I believe the rotation is different.
318_360_TIMING_COVER.jpg

The serpentine belt uses a reverse rotation water pump, if you don't use it you will have over heating issues with the serpentine belt set up. It's best to get everything off of the motor your getting the belt setup from. Just like AdventurerSE said above

Once I had a slightly different used serpentine belt installed onto my truck and it turned out into a real problem! So finally had to get an OE belt (Serpentine Belts | 5300+ Products - CARiD.com) for my specific vehicle application to avoid overheating and that annoying noise, that appeared. So from my own experience I know, that it is sure better to get a new belt, made specifically for my truck.

Last edited:
Didn't realize anyone else had replied, sorry.
I have not done this. I do have a Dakota with a 318 with the serpentine belt set up that I really would like to put on an older (74) Dodge truck.

YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT . To me the easiest way is just swap the MAG ENGINE Add a crosswind intake, a new dizzy& coil an electric fuel pump and you ve got a carbureted magnum with good power.

Amazingly enough the 89 360 still has a pump eccentric on the cam. Remove the plate, install pump and done.
Think it was the first year for roller cam in the 360.

Nope my 360 in my 88 Ramcharger has a roller cam..

Last edited:
That broadens the search years for a fuel tank and wiring harness from 88 to 93 for the truck. Been looking for another doner. Maybe even get lucky and find an A518 in the process.

You might search 88/91 for TBI. 92/93are magnum (MPFI years) and there is some minor change in the fuel pump mpfi is 39/45 psi and plugs for the wiring are differents. TBI PSI is less between 15/19.

Last edited:
Back