• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rochester Quadrajet problem

Foxfire360

Reaction score
My ‘72 Power Wagon has a mid/late 80s 360 w/Quadrajet carb. It has been nothing but trouble since I’ve owned the truck. Poor idle, hard starting when hot, floats sticking and spitting fuel when warm, stalling at stop signs when wa

When set up right they are a great carb. I would pull it apart, change out the float and put in a kit.

When set up right they are a great carb. I would pull it apart, change out the float and put in a kit.
So true. I've had a few nasty Pontiac's In the past and, They really perform with the Quadrajet. Luckily I had a guy that lived In my neighborhood that was a guru of them. When he got done with them holy shiznit!!! That thing was bad to the bone especially when the secondaries opened sounded like thunder and, felt like a turbo or Nos kicking In. Me, I'd get a rebuild kit. They have a hard time with the ethanol gas. I think the kits have all updated parts to better handle the crap gas.

When the carb. is apart, don't forget to fix the well plugs. When the inner passages of the main body are drilled the bottom of the carb. is used for access. These holes are then "plugged" with a soft metal. Well plug leaks will/can cause the problems described. Drill the factory plugs out, tap the first 1/4 inch, install Allen head set screws flush to the body and finish with a small amount of epoxy. There were several articles on this in the car mags " back in the day" and I have been doing it for years. Make sure you replace the float if it's not the metal one.

Back