• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Reviving an 87 D150

65 sporty

Reaction score
Depending on the amount of nylon that is broken off the timing gear I would pull the oil pan, it will find it's way to the oil pickup screen. While the heads are off have then check for flatness and milled if needed

Gustav

Reaction score
Depending on the amount of nylon that is broken off the timing gear I would pull the oil pan, it will find it's way to the oil pickup screen. While the heads are off have then check for flatness and milled if needed
Yeah, about half of the teeth have broken off. I was under the impression that you have to raise the engine up off the subframe a little to get the pan off, but if it's easy to just drop it as-is, I'll clean it all out. I did check the flatness of the heads with a aluminum straight edges (level and a Drywall square) and both heads were flat, but maybe that's not precise enough?

Gustav

Reaction score
oh and does the distributor in that truck have a vacuum advance on it? Being an 87 it is probably lean burn, the computer is behind teh battery. Id definitely convert it to regular Mopar electronic ignition, real easy to do and chuck that computer in the garbage. Especially being as how youre putting a different cam into it!
Yes, that is the plan, or an aftermarket HEI. Getting rid of a lot of wiring on this thing (not that it had a lot to begin with).

65 sporty

Reaction score
Yeah, about half of the teeth have broken off. I was under the impression that you have to raise the engine up off the subframe a little to get the pan off, but if it's easy to just drop it as-is, I'll clean it all out. I did check the flatness of the heads with a aluminum straight edges (level and a Drywall square) and both heads were flat, but maybe that's not precise enough?
I always use a steel straight edge and check with a .003 feeler gauge, make sure the gauge won't slide between the straight edge and the head.
Watch this video

Demonram

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new truck! I just bought a 93, looks a lot like yours. I’ve never owned a 91-93, 17 1st gens though. Absolutely no rust, the sun is hell on the paint here in Az. One dent by the gas door area. It runs like a top, so far. I too put all new weatherstripping in, shocks, front brakes, rears are next. New tires are going on next Saturday, treads good, but it sat in a garage for 6 years so they are old and checked. Have fun and enjoy!