• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Removing/Rebuilding 318 from my '79 Dodge D150

dodge79

Reaction score
My truck is in need of a rebuild (blue smoke and burning oil). My question is how tough is it to remove the engine to rebuild it? Also once I get it out of the truck how tough is it to put a mild rebuild into it?

My truck is in need of a rebuild (blue smoke and burning oil). My question is how tough is it to remove the engine to rebuild it? Also once I get it out of the truck how tough is it to put a mild rebuild into it?

Kinda hard to answer such a question without knowing your level of knowledge and skill and tools you have available.

If its a 2wd to pull the engine usually isn't to bad to figure out and do. With 4x4 it may become awkward. For example my on my cherry picker on a 2wd I can get the arm into the engine real close and personal and it makes it easy to handle and maneuver. On a 4x4 for example the truck sits to higher and I have to use chains to reach the engine than jack it all the way up in the air where the picker becomes sketchy to move and the whole system becomes like a big wrecking ball of death. Or take the front clip off and you can have direct access to it but than doing that makes the whole process take 3 times as long. But if its your first time doing it I would probably do it the long way to be safe.

Back