• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radio head WTF

multimopes

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 sport 4wd. When I bought it a year and a half ago, the factory radio was kaput, AM,FM,CD,Cassette. I bought a replacement on Ebay at a good price in new condition. I am not sure if I had an Infinity or not but the replacement is not. The speakers do not currently work in the doors but the wires were connected to them. The speakers in the dash and along the seat work as well as the little 1" tweeters in the A pillars. I only wanted factory because I have a shit load of old cassettes to play along with CD's. The guy I bought the radio from mentioned that it would work with Infinity or the other whatever standard radio hook up. Does anyone know the difference off hand that one radio feeds all speakers verses the other on not? This would save me having to trace the wiring under the dash board which is a PITA. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx and Happy holidays to all!

I was reading my factory e-manual on this the other day and found out there is something called a "clock spring" device somewhere under the dash that has something to do with the connection to the door speakers and the amplifiers that are evidently in the doors as well. Since my truck was in an accident before I bought it, the right front fender and bumper were replaced already by a former owner. I also learned that my truck must have the "Infinity" radio system. The A pillar speakers,(one inch tweeters), which I have, were only used with this system. This clock spring device also connects into other systems from the engine and may have been damaged in the accident. Anyone know about these things? I suck with electrical stuff!:confused:

Are your radio controls on the steering wheel? I did a google search and could not find one under dash just one in the steering column. The horn, cruise control and if so equipped radio controls go threw it.

Thanks, every little bit helps. No, I don't have any radio controls on the steering wheel. At least they are not there now. Maybe there should be some. According to the manual, my radio is what's known as a RAZ type. It says there was an option for steering wheel controls with this unit and a possible remote. I did find that there are supposed to be switches under the upper steering column and another sensor under the steering wheel air bag that could be bad. I at least know what the clock spring thing is now. There is a filter / choke / relay supposedly under the dash near the ash tray that can not be repaired if it goes bad according to the manual. There are several joint connectors and possibly an in-line fuse also and the electrical prints show possible 2 other clock springs. There is other unrelated wiring involved as well. Damn, I hate this new technology. To fix something you have to disassemble half of the vehicle. They also mention that only certain shops are equipped to trouble shoot or repair these things. I will keep iterating away until something rears it's ugly head! Thanks again 7! :confused:

Are there wire harnesses from the body to the door speakers? Clock springs are rotating wire connections usually a disk and pin contact.

Yes, all wiring is there and intact and hooked up. I have a similar problem with the cab lights not working, they have come on maybe 3 times since I owned the truck. It's not a big deal. Being as how the truck was in an accident before I bought it, it's hard to know what was done to it afterwards. It is a Sport model but the front bumper is not. Several things I had to fix , many things like grounds not reconnected or secured, fender reinforcement not bolted up, etc. I changed out the heater core right after I bought it and everything under the dash looked hooked up but you never know. I also had to replace the overhead cab light console, pull out beverage tray etc. I know what a clockspring is now, thank you, and I understand it's function in the steering wheel but it doesn't make sense to use one anywhere else. I wish I had my home computer here for reference to the wire diagrams. I am at work currently on the graveyard shift. I am thinking the choke / relay isn't good. If I remember it controls the door speakers AND the A pillar tweeters. Funny thing is, the tweeters work along with the rear body speakers. There are just too many freakin sensors and switches. Lets face the fact that it over 17 years old!

Back