• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

pulling out my engine

butch

Reaction score
I know this question to some of you might sound stupid, but if you don't know you have to ask. I'm pulling out my 318 from my 65 power wagon, and the question I have is, I have never pulled out a standard trans engine always autos, and that was easy, So do I have to do something different cause of the clutch. I unbolt the bell housing and does it slid out?? With the auto the engine slips right out, but I'm not sure with the engine having a clutch..Thanks, Butch

not quite that easy unfortunately,the input shaft from your trans is sticking thru clutch assembly in to flywheel ive always pulled them together and put them back in together ive never had good luck aligning trans shaft back up in the trk

I have only done it twice and the one time the engine and the clutch assembly came apart easy considering I didn't know what I was doing and the next time when I thought I knew what was going on I couldn't get them apart to save my life and ended up pulling both. LOL

I just did it in my car...same as a truck...if you un-bolt the bellhousing the whole tranny will pull out of the pressure plate and clutch...I however find it easier to pull them and install them as one unit with an engine leveler.

Last edited:
Thanks, so if I understand you right, you are saying leave the trans connected to the engine and pull them out as one? All I really want to do is pull the engine out and paint and clean the engine bay, and engine...

Back