• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Project finally coming together

bikinkawboy

Reaction score
Here's some before and after photos of what I've been working for a little over a year now. First a little background. During the fall of 2011, a mountain lion killed about $8,000 worth of sheep. Without lambs to sell, I needed money for the farm payment so I started hauling off a bunch of old scrap cars. My already rusty '77 D150 had set unused for 16 years (getting even more rusty) and I considered hauling it off too, but I just couldn't bring myself to do so. It was my first 4 wheeled vehicle (already had a motorcycle), my (ex) wife and I had dated in it, brought the babies home from the hospital in it, hauled the kids around in as they grew up while buying Christmas trees and such plus countless other things. In the spring of 2013 my son (then 25) and I went to a Mopar show and there were some rusty, very ratty looking old Dodge pickups there. That got me to thinking about rebuilding the old Dodge. The same boy had taken a very well used '77 W100 in trade for a tranny job, which he gave to me. Somewhere along the way, I decided to rebuild the 1`50 and convert it to 4 wheel drive, which was the start of the very labor intensive build.

By winter I hope to have everything together and functioning except for the bed, which is in really bad shape. By the time it's all said and done, about the only thing I won't have replaced, reconstructed or repaired will be the title. I've kept a list of the stuff I've done and l already have 3 full pages. I think the donor vehicles list is up to 14 now. What I've had to do is far too detailed to even start on. The only thing I have not done myself was to reinstall a different windshield. Even the manual says it's a 2 man job and I didn't want to risk busting the only uncracked windshield I had. I've done all of the body work, assembled a 360 4 barrel from 4 different engines, reworked the front hubs, electrical, everything. Incidentally, the paint is Van Sickle farm equipment paint and clear coat. Black and Ferguson gray. Actually pretty decent paint. The photos are low quality due to having dial up. truck2.jpgDSC_0361_040.jpgDSC_1329_041.jpgengine1.jpgtruck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

DSC_0361_040.jpg

DSC_1329_041.jpg

engine1.jpg

truck1.jpg

If you notice, you can see the Mopar sticker on the vacuum booster and the engine timing info on the valve cover. I took photos of the originals and reproduced them using the Excel program, which took quite some time. The only thing I couldn't do was reproduce the correct font Chrysler used in "Mopar". I printed them off and then attached them using wide, clear packing tape. Yeah I know, kind of chintzy, but poor people have poor ways. I also reproduced the air cleaner sticker. The twin snorkel air cleaner housing is from a Dodge police car. Since the first photo, I've sandblasted the rear half of the frame and painted it thoroughly, reinstalled the gas tank and painted the driveshaft and rear axle blue. The blue paint is darker than OEM, it being Rustoleum Royal Blue. I really liked the color and it goes on wonderfully. I brush painted the valve covers and the paint flows beautifully.

Looking good. I like that grill on those year trucks. It reminds me of my grandfathers '74 Power Wagon. I am in the same boat as you right now, my truck is finally coming together as well.

I love reading stories on bringing Mopars back from the dead . Keep up the good work and please keep us posted .

Back