• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Problem thread for the w150

Reaction score
So i'm trying to diagnose some problems I have with my newly acquired '87 w150. I'ts a 318/727 truck, 85,000 org. miles. It had 2 owners before me, the previous owner's dad bought it new, and he later inherited it. The second owner had it for 5 years and didn't even put 1,000 on it. When i started driving it some leaks popped up, usual stuff, but it still goes into gear very hard with a loud clunk (bad u-joint maybe?), has a click that increases with speed in the front (wheel bearing?), and also has a similar deal around the front drivers wheel, may be some rotor rust or something brake related. Sounds more like a faint grind, just like a rust spot on a rotor would. At this point the one that i can't figure out is the creak coming from the front right of the truck. Seems to happen the most during susp. travel, I can push on the front right of the hood and it will do it, but not from the front right fender. Sounds like a mix of creaky metal and a bad bushing, but the shock bushings were my first thought and they are good all around. Any ideas? TIA

So i'm trying to diagnose some problems I have with my newly acquired '87 w150. I'ts a 318/727 truck, 85,000 org. miles. It had 2 owners before me, the previous owner's dad bought it new, and he later inherited it. The second owner had it for 5 years and didn't even put 1,000 on it. When i started driving it some leaks popped up, usual stuff, but it still goes into gear very hard with a loud clunk (bad u-joint maybe?), has a click that increases with speed in the front (wheel bearing?), and also has a similar deal around the front drivers wheel, may be some rotor rust or something brake related. Sounds more like a faint grind, just like a rust spot on a rotor would. At this point the one that i can't figure out is the creak coming from the front right of the truck. Seems to happen the most during susp. travel, I can push on the front right of the hood and it will do it, but not from the front right fender. Sounds like a mix of creaky metal and a bad bushing, but the shock bushings were my first thought and they are good all around. Any ideas? TIA
bushing, ball joints even, is the 87 leaf or coil sprung? I cant remember when they switched from front leafs of 4x4s.

bushing, ball joints even, is the 87 leaf or coil sprung? I cant remember when they switched from front leafs of 4x4s.
My front has leafs. Ordered ball joint because I notice that the front passenger wheel's camber is alittle off, and i've been told that it could only really be a ball joint, and that there isn't really a way to adjust camber, though I haven't had the time to look at it myself. They are probably due anyways lol

My front has leafs. Ordered ball joint because I notice that the front passenger wheel's camber is alittle off, and i've been told that it could only really be a ball joint, and that there isn't really a way to adjust camber, though I haven't had the time to look at it myself. They are probably due anyways lol
im not sure there is a way to adjust the camber either.

Metal on metal, could be ball joint or tie rod.
I did a recall on a ramcharger,but dont exactly remember, was a patch panel on the right cowl,where hood and fender meet. I think.
Was a body panel squawk/creak.

If you have brake and bearing noises, should look at it sooner than later,cost of repair increases the more you drive it (typically)

I dont think ramcharger 4x4's were ever independent front suspensions. Only change is when they went to the cad.

Last edited:
Usually.
I had a rumchugger until about 12 years ago. Spent a lot of time on
RCC until the owner sold it off. Just didnt seem the same.
But some great info on there. Got plans and built a 4" lift for my power wagon.
Im not reccomending another forum, i dont like to offend the mods.

Gotta mention,470,000 km's on my power wagon and still original ball joints.

Last edited:
Depending on which front axle it is, some had a replaceable insert for the upper ball joint to increase or decrease camber usually 2 deg + or - . You can install them then have the alignment shop set it up.

Back