• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Possible "new" old truck....

snate66

Reaction score
Been looking at a mid 70's w250 with some rust but straight. Any incites as to what to look for or avoid? Not familiar with some aspects of the full time 4wd.

Divorced or attached transfer case? Dana 60 front axle and is it full time or lockout? Just because it is a mid 70's doesn't mean its full time. Many were converted to part time if not ordered that way.

Look for lock out hub's in front, if it has lock out's it's either not full time or been converted.

My '72 has hubs, but it came full time from the factory. It's also only a Dana 44, not the big 60.
My 78 Jeep J10 had a Dana 44 and was factory full time 4wd, it had a drive flange in place of the lock out. I was assuming this would be similar

Only amp and oil pressure working. Topped off with ten gallons, checked oil, coolant, lights and gears... was a strong starter. Getting out of low and into hi was a challenge but we prevailed and made the 40 mile trip home at 60ish mph with no problems. Felt good on the road. Total utility beast.

Attachments

• FF8179F8-BD03-4E92-B804-2FCA1FDC7D69.jpeg
    FF8179F8-BD03-4E92-B804-2FCA1FDC7D69.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 41E0F9AF-1AD0-43A9-B264-4E5DA6716C5C.jpeg
    41E0F9AF-1AD0-43A9-B264-4E5DA6716C5C.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 153
Recognized New Market, forgot you're in Minnesota. Nice that you got it home, just in time for some snow.

Still investigating.... I'm thinking linkage needs some goin' over first. might have to wait until the weekend. These 10 hour work days take a chunk out of my winter daylight hours. I don't mind laying under a truck in the snow...but doing it in the dark makes me ornery.

Long work hours and winter in Minnesota make for crappy repair times. I don't miss twelve hours shifts.

So.. I had a few minutes of daylight and scooted under to check a few things.

Right side tail light out due to old hacked trailer wiring. Most of the stuff on hand to repair but will wait until the temps climb back up.
Also,
found a new leak in the rear brake line along the axle. I didn't find any line sets with my quick googlin'. I should just go by some line and fittings to do up one...anyone know the stock line size and fitting sizes? standard flare I'm guessing?

Other than that. Starts and runs fine after a quick oil and filters changin' . Replaced the damaged and missing mirrors... new head lamps hanging straight now with spare ss rings found in the pile. Hope to check the dash VR to bring the gauges back to life.

Back