• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pics of the factory vapor barrier.

hansbuscher

Reaction score
My truck has only the remains of some tape where the vapor barrier was installed behind the door panel. Can anyone describe or have a pic of how the plastic sheet was arranged?
Thanks.
-Andrew

Rainy season is starting here and because of the camber in the road rain drips onto the carpet from under the door panel. I got some skinny butyl tape and heavy plastic sheet but it's not really clear how the kept the rain inside the door.

Are the drain slots in the door clean? Door not filling with water? Not sure why there would be water coming in behind the panel even with the barrier removed.

Door bottom is cleaned out. Truck parked along the curb is tilted to the right. That's enough angle for the rain to drip directly onto the floor. I have plastic taped in there now and that works. I was hoping to see if the factory had any tricks for getting around the door opener section. Otherwise the plastic sits inside the door bottom like a shower curtain in the tub.

Is there any rubber seal on the door at the bottom of the window, where you'd put your arm on a nice day with the window down? Water wouldn't get into the door that bad.

The plastic is a vapor barrier, not a water barrier. It's meant for condensation. I'm guessing you have a bigger issue.

Need new door window sweeps, felts and, rubber seals not plastic vapor barrier. Checkout precision replacement parts. They have full kits for every window and door.

DK 3110 80 - Door Seal Kit​

DK_3110_80_STD-1.jpg

Door Seal Kit​

Door kit consists of: Door seals, beltlines and glass run channels. This kit is for the left and right front doors. Our product is made from the original specs and from high quality ozone resistant materials to fit your vehicle.

Availability​

• Out of Stock

List Price $214.42​

The simple trick with the vapor barrier is:

- that you fix the upper, right and left edge to the outside surface
- that you push the lower edge with about two inches lenght "into" the door (cut to fit smoothly)

That's all. Any water will drop "into" the door and hopefully disappear through the drain slots...

What I was going to say above, tucked in to the door, the most important part. Water will come inside the door, can’t keep it out, the plastic is there to direct it to the drain holes in door bottom. Like he said, SEAL around all handles, top and sides.

Back