• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Parking brake rubbing

Mopardude

Reaction score
I just changed out the brakes for the first time on my 06 Ram 1500. All went well except for trying to get the rear rotor off the drivers side. The parking brakes have never been used so that side was all built up with rust so I really had to beet the hell out of it to get it off, and when I did it ripped the pads right off the shoes. I didn't bother replacing those parking brake pads because seemed like a waste of money for something I never used. Put everything back together and now the parking brake rubs. I have tried moving the adjuster all the way in and out to correct the issue but that didn't change anything either way. There seems to be a lot of play in the whole parking brake assembly and I have tried moving it around to get the rubbing to stop and that didn't work either. I am wondering now if I should go get new pads to put on there and if that will center them out to where they need to be? I am kinda lost here, any one have any suggestions? If replacing the pads is the right answer is it possible to change them without pulling the axle? What would I have to do to replace them and will I need any special tools for that? I have never done drum style brakes before.

Thanks in advanced!

Back