• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Over heating?

Ron

Reaction score
I have a 97 Ram 1500.. What temp should it be running around, mine seems to be slightly over 1/2.. sometimes gos up a bit more maybe 220-230 range? My code reader says i could have a possible faulty water pump.. I bought one im just not sure if i need it, any advice is welcome, the gauge is not marked good enough to tell here exactly what it does say, i cant see anything wrong unless this is getting to high.. 318 engine auto with over drive 4x4..

I forgot to add.. When i was under the truck changeing the 02 sensor i was looking at the rear end in it, I cant tell the difference in it then the 9 1/4 in my car, can this be? Maybe the diffirentual in my 73 came from a truck, that would explain why the one in the car looks so huge for a car lol.. I admit to knowing very little about these trucks but i swear the rear end is the same as my car, maybe i should start drinking again!

Thanks, No but i will check it and see what it says, i may hook up a after market one and see what it says, And yes it is the 9.25 what i mean is, my car should have a 8.25 and someone swapped a 9.25 in its place and im wondering if they got it from a truck such as this, probably not, im just curious is all. Thanks again.

My car is a 73 Satellite (RRC) it has a 9 1/4 in it now, someone swapped it out, also has a 727 not the 904 thats supposed to be in it...
Overheating was a bad water pump guys, all fixed and hope thats it for the mechanical work for awhile, been real busy with upgrades on the car and repairing the truck, now its Kabota time, yard needs mowed and took the Ram to town to make sure its ok and bought a battery for the tractor! thanks..

My Car.
Picture2001120Medium20Small.gif

A little update... The water pump helped a lot but i was told it shouldn't be going up to what im guessing about 220, So i put a new thermostat in it and now hovers just a tad either over 1/2 way (200) or under, in that range. So i guess this problem is solved. I have all the gremlins about worked out of it, I put a new idol pulley on and just bought a new belt tensioner to end a small squeal ive been getting.. There isint an enormous amount of body work to do but ill be soon starting that. Ive decided to paint the cab and very top of the hood a gloss black along with maybe 4 inch's from bottom up to get rid of a little surface rust.. Today i washed and waxed it and i think it looks nice considering its a 97 with original paint, to bad the clear coat and paint is coming off the roof and hood, or there really wouldn't be a need to do any body/paint. I want the front end all gloss black including in where you can see the metal parts in bumper.. Including the gray inserts in chrome.
llllllllllll20Small.gif

Back