• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

original springs, keep or not?

waffle

Reaction score
I have the original springs on my 57 Dodge D100 in very good shape. Deciding if I should replace during my complete resto just because they are old or clean/paint and reinstall? Also if I reinstall would the helper springs be a good idea like Kanter sells to get back a little of any sag or just stay with stock shocks? Any suggestions, Thanks!..... Also along the same lines, i`m replacing all the suspension,steering parts. Where is the best place to get all the tie-rod ends,bearings, seals, etc. Was hoping someone has been through this hassle to help me save frustrations?

Well as far as your springs go ? That's kind of a trick question . I feel like if there in that good a shape then clean them up and paint them . Make sure the bushings are all in good shape as well . If the springs are good and still have a good arch and such but the bushings are bad , you could always just change out the bushings while you have them out during clean up . As far as installing a helper spring ? You'd only do that if the springs were sagging or you wanted a little more height . If there sagging then you might as well just get new springs for it . See what I mean about , kind of a truck question ? :) As far as front end parts go's . I try and use moog when I can but sometimes I have to settle for what either my parts store or one of my suppliers can get . If your having trouble finding the parts , let me know and I'll see what I can get for your application . ;) No promise's , but I can check in to it for you .

Yeah, I believe I will keep the original springs as the arch does look ok. And replacing the bushings for sure. Seeing as the replacement shocks are not that different a cost from the helper shocks, figure I may as well get the helpers as it can only assist whatever sag is there after 60 years? I see Kanter has those shocks and also a master brake deluxe kit I think I will get. Wish they had more.I will be checking on replacing all the front end parts at all the usual places I guess.
I need to get the rear drums off(when I get a puller)to see what is next at that end now too. It appears from the outside it is a basic 8 3/4 Chrysler rear end but found no literature yet that says so and I have all the old manuals. Hopefully it is and I can swap a good ratio into my reared if it fits. Have you had any experience with this year rear end?
Thanks much for the help Bear!

People forget that a lot of trucks and vans came factory with 8 3/4's in them . A lot of times , if you find them untouched there already set up with good gears . I'd be curious on what's inside yours . There's no tag on any of the nut's the hold the pumpkin in ?

Have you had any experience with this year rear end?
Thanks much for the help Bear!
I'm not saying I'm an expert or anything on your gen truck . I've just got about thirty plus years of working on and bringing back to life these things , I've worked on pretty much every year Mopar at one time or another . There is a couple of members here that are currently working on this gen Dodge truck that might be able to help you out as well . Whether it be advice or possibly maybe even parts .

Well my manual says the gears ratio would be either a 4.89 to 1 or 4.78 to 1 which looks about right when I spin it. I think set of 3.23 to 1 would be good so I can drive it all over and hopefully it`s interchangeable with later 8 3/4 if that`s what it actually is. More investigation and help needed!

Hey Waffle, shouldn't that case be marked on the left side by the pinion? 741 would be 81/4 742 would be 83/4. Maybe not with that early of case. Is this a 3 or 4 speed truck?

The numbers I have on my case are 1634983 and a W5 inside of a raised block. The truck is an original pushbutton automatic behind a V8 which is why I bought it as I thought it very cool to have in a truck. Unfortunately the original motor and tranny was gone and Im putting in a 1965 poly 318 in it`s place. I`m in need of a pushbutton tranny with the brake on the tail shaft now to fit this motor and I will be all set. The search goes on.

I have the original springs on my 57 Dodge D100 in very good shape. Deciding if I should replace during my complete resto just because they are old or clean/paint and reinstall? Also if I reinstall would the helper springs be a good idea like Kanter sells to get back a little of any sag or just stay with stock shocks? Any suggestions, Thanks!..... Also along the same lines, i`m replacing all the suspension,steering parts. Where is the best place to get all the tie-rod ends,bearings, seals, etc. Was hoping someone has been through this hassle to help me save frustrations?
I would keep them as long as the arch is good, I had a set re-arched for a jeep and they sagged after about 2yrs. If they are sagging some now get some new ones.

Back