• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil pressure woes

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Just watched my oil pressure gauge today. At idle it's at 40psi ( according to the gauge ). Drops to 20psi running at 65mph. Any suggestions as to the issues ? Btw, it comes back up after returned to idle.

I would start be checking the pressure with a mechanical gauge. If the your just sitting with the engine running at about 2000 rpm will the oil pressure do the same thing? If the engine is full of sludge the drain back holes in the heads could be plugged slowing the oil flow back to the oil pan.

I would start be checking the pressure with a mechanical gauge. If the your just sitting with the engine running at about 2000 rpm will the oil pressure do the same thing? If the engine is full of sludge the drain back holes in the heads could be plugged slowing the oil flow back to the oil pan.
That's what I'm thinking too. As the story goes a farmer bought the truck new, then the folks I got it from wasn't known for maintaining a vehicle regularly.

If it's that gunked up you may have to start at the head and work down. Sure wouldn't flush anymore into the oil pan than necessary.
Hope you don't find oil and sludge baked in the oil pan.

Being broke is a relative term. If no one does anything about fuel prices we will all be there.

Thats High Performance windage control/oil control. You drive your truck on one oil change for like the first 2 years of It's life to accumulate enough of a blockage so the oil stays up top just enough to reduce your windage In the oil pan thus making for more HP.

Being broke is a relative term. If no one does anything about fuel prices we will all be there.
Whats gas by you 7. I saw for it 4.20 today. He has got to be the worst ever. I'm not one for wishing ill on people but, let me tell you. Here It Is an act of God, Biden and his little gang of misfits In air force one goes down on a mountain In the extreme wilderness that way It makes It super hard for a rescue and anyone that survives gets taken out by a bear, pack of wolves, mountain lion. Although the pack of wolves might like Pelosis so, we hope for a bear.

Cheapest today was $4.59.
We don't want his plane coming down here. Maybe it will enter Rusky airspace.

No maybe the andes In south america would be better so some jungle people can eat them or sacrifice to the sun god

Was hoping to see and oil pressures update. Anyone will improper grammar problem send them to grammar checker.

my guess is that the problem is on the suction side, as others have alluded too. It could be anything from a dented pan to sludge to a cracked pick-up tube sucking air to a floater in the oil, to half your valve seals being in the pick-up screen.
But if air entrained, you would likely have noisy hydraulic lifters.

my guess is that the problem is on the suction side, as others have alluded too. It could be anything from a dented pan to sludge to a cracked pick-up tube sucking air to a floater in the oil, to half your valve seals being in the pick-up screen.
But if air entrained, you would likely have noisy hydraulic lifters.
No noisy lifters.

I've never tried this; but I suppose you could drop the oilfilter and blow that supply-circuit out with compressed air; just make sure to ventilate the crankcase first. You might have to turn the crank a bit to align the pump-ports just right. However, even if this worked, it is not a solution, cuz if the problem is in the supply side, it's just going to happen again.
If I had an engine with this symptom, the pan would already be off.
Well hang on, I run Mopar-LAs, so I would pull and inspect the oilpump drive first. They have a sortof history of rounding off the corners of the hex drive, or splitting the sockets

Back