• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil pan fitment

niceolddart

Reaction score
Anyone know if an oil pan from a 2nd Gen Dakota with a 5.9 Magnum will fit a first Gen Dakota with a 5.2 Magnum, or is the 5.9 Magnum oil pan different, (larger rear main seal etc.) like the 318 & 360 LA motors. I would like to put a 5.9 motor in my current 5.2l Dakota & I would like to avoid buying a new Milodon oil pan for his truck if I can, they are kind of pricey. Thanks

Want to list some years there. Magnums can out in 88 & 89 and were basic LA's with roller cams. In 93 I believe that all changed with port injection. Anything can be made to fit if one tries hard enough.

Milodon lists separate oil pans for magnum engines as they do with the LA engines so I'm pretty sure they have the same rear main difference.

Thanks for the info folks. I was pretty sure that Magnum motors (MPI 1992-2003?) were different, crankshaft wise between a 5.2l & 5.9l. just like the older 318 & 360 motors. I guess if I do this, I will have to buy the Milodon oil pan, cause' I'm pretty sure their the only ones that make them for a 91-96 Dakota with a 5.9l swapped in.

Now take this with a grain of salt, but when I looked up a oil pan on Rock Auto for a 02 Dakota with a 5.9L it uses the same aftermarket pan as a 93 Dakota with a 5.2L. The oil pan gasket is different though.

Thanks 65 sporty. I will check this out. I get a lot of stuff from Rock Auto too, so I will look at this, They are a good source for parts & cross referencing.

sorry 7mopar, magnums did not come out in 88/89. yes you are correct that the 88/89 they were roller camshaft motors. 92 was 1st yr for 5.2 magnum and 93 was 1st year for 5.9 motors.if you follow fabo about putting a magnum i an a body, you have to use a 360 center sump oil pan for either 5.2/5.9. also there are different concerns when using a 4 piece oil pan gasket as opposed to the 1 piece. i have in my barn an 88,89,90,91,92 and 93 d 150's.

Back