• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

oil leak

ram150

Reaction score
My 1986 Ram150 2dr.with 8'bed & a 343cui. (bored 318) roller bearing engine has developed a oil leak.I see oil leaking steadily between bell housing & trans. pan. ,see no oil around the rear seal. Does engine have oil plug in rear? I did not notice when I put the long block (Proformance Brand ) in , Engine has had regular oil changes. only major problem was a wire burned out & fried comp. It now has a Summit racing "orange box "for Chrysler ignition. Leak started after water pump belt slipped, but I noticed it before gauge showed heat (smelled hot water). Help this is my only transport. Can it be repaired by pulling trans instead of engine? Any help would be appreciated. JHB

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not the sending unit on top in the back of the motor ? It could be running down along the back of the motor . .... There's no oil plug in back of your motor . There is a freeze plug right behind your cam shaft though .

It almost pours out . I don't know year of block, only that I purchased it i n 2001 & installed in '02. almost a quart in just a few minutes

Did you check your oil sending unit ? When one of those go it "will" blow a lot of oil out . It could be running down your bell housing and straight to the ground .

Back