• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Off the wall Diesel question for ya

Polara_500

Reaction score
I am converting a 110 gallon service tank from gas to diesel, so let's say on first fill of the tank there's a little gas left in the bottom - how much contamination can say 50 gallons of diesel accommodate? In other words, how dry does it have to be to prevent issues with the end use equipment? Yes, I'm pretty dang new to diesel. If there's say a quart of gas left will that cause me any issues?
Thanks in advance.

I would roll it over and drain everything. It is worth the extra effort to make sure the tank is clean. The injectors and pump will like you for it. They are expensive to replace. Will the pump in the tank pump diesel and is there a good diesel filter on it?
Gasoline makes a poor lubricant and you do not want it in your diesel engine. I would also put the larger diesel hose nozzel on just to keep someone from pumping it into their gas engine. May even want to label the tank its self.

Oh, I rolled it over and all, but there's a lip/baffle right at the fill that keeps me from getting all of it. Will have to rig some sorta pump to get the last little bit.

If the tank is made out of heavy enough stuff adding a drain plug many be the thing to due. Just make sure to put it some where it can not be seen or gotten to easily. Do not need someone walking of with diesel.

Just my two cents , But I'm with "7Mopar" on this one . You don't want to be mixing fuels like that . The drain plug idea is a darn good one too boot ! ;)

Did some digging around and found sources that say 1% is bad. That doesn't take much gas to make that up, so I'm gonna get it real clean and dry before I put any diesel in there. A drain plug may be nice, but the tank's shape isn't conducive so I'll leave that alone for now.

I have a customer with a 05 Duramax and his girlfriend went and filled it up and drove about 5 miles until it wouldn't run anymore. We brought it back to the shop drained the gas and cleaned the tank. Fresh diesel, new fuel filter, oil change just in case and the truck is still running today. This was about 5 yrs ago. He got REAL LUCKY.

I'm with everyone else here, DRAIN that bad boy, to literally NOTHING in it..... THEN, add in a drain bung where it can't be easily gotten too....

Its not good to mix fuels like that.....

Back