• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

OD lockout switch 95 Dakota....toggle switch?

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
Can a simple single pole toggle switch be installed in place of the original OD switch? And I'm thinking there are more than 3 wires going to the original so I'm not sure how to wire in a toggle switch if possible. Been a long since replacing the 1st one and it seems they are no longer available.

93 is still in the dash. Od switch not listed at RockAuto.
Only time I turn it off is for heavy loads on hills.

95 is the last year for it to be on the dash iirc....and my problem is that the switch is bad and I can't turn the OD on. It happened the same way about 15 years ago. It's not so bad since I have 30" tall tires on the back but would still like to be able to turn it on when I get on the freeway. 2000 rpm at 40 isn't bad but the rpm @ 65 isn't all that great.

I know what you mean on the rpms will drop 1000 at 65 mph when in od. Previous owner complained about bad gas mileage. Saying best was 13 on the hyway. Get 19 mph at 75 loaded. Wonder if he ever had it in od.

I know what you mean on the rpms will drop 1000 at 65 mph when in od. Previous owner complained about bad gas mileage. Saying best was 13 on the hyway. Get 19 mph at 75 loaded. Wonder if he ever had it in od.
Thing is, when you start up the truck, the OD is automatically on....unless the switch isn't working like mine is right now. I like to shut it off in town since the speeds are so low and the OD shifts up at pretty low speeds and why does it need to do that. When driving it easy, it'll go into OD at 30 mph.

Here it is
enId=14dfcb44-819c-4155-a079-247bc2396293&project=OemContent&file=Wiring\Display\WRCR95\DAKO016c.png

The way I see it, it looks like the switch opens/closes pin 3 to pin 4. Pin 4 is power from the fuse, pin 3 is the O/D sense at the PCM. I would pull the switch out and test pin 3 and 4 to see what has power with O/D engaged and what happens when it's disengaged. I think you can put a toggle switch on pin 3 and 4 like you suggested to turn the O/D off

56007184 SWITCH, w/Bezel, Overdrive Lockout 1992-96 Truck including the Dakota

I have 10 of them used

Finally got around to messing with the OD switch today....and man, a year went by pretty fast! Anyways, pulled it out was was looking it over when the thought hit me to test drive it with the switch totally out of the circuit and dang, the OD works without it! Boy, that was easy :D

Would be nice to go ahead and hook up a toggle switch or just get another factory switch to be able to shut off the OD for the long grades....especially since it's got 31" tires on it....

I am getting rid of the 93. Can save the switch for you. Did not take it out of od much but did work when needed.

How much do you want for it? And it'll fit into one of those small 'if it fits it ships' post office priority boxes with ease. Those are a little over 7 bucks shipping. The post office usually has them on hand and doesn't need any packing....unless you just want to add a page from a news paper.

Once you get the dash face off, it's easy. The dash face is the issue....got to hold your mouth just right lol

No....had mine off a few times over the past 21 years. It does have tilt wheel if that makes a difference? Have to wrestle with it every time. Maybe the column is a bit different than what's on the 93? It does appear a bit different than what was in my 92 but didn't keep that one long enough to ever have a need to take it off. That's the truck I wish I had back! V8, tilt, cruise, auto, 3.90 gears and limited slip. 15.30 at the track with 200 miles on it. That was Mustang GT territory and pissed off at least one GT owner bad enough to run a red light that had been red for a good 5 seconds in order to get away from me. I slowed down for it and he never let off. It was also my last street race! Had a fender on him in the middle of second gear and was inching away when the light down the road went yellow and then red. Can only imagine the repercussions that could have resulted if he would have crashed into someone that was coming across the intersection....I was in disbelief when I realized what he was doing.

Back