• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Not happy with the brakes

HEMI-ITIS

Behind the wheel
Reaction score
96 2500 5.9 gas.Have 06 wheels & tires on it. The brakes SUCK! I have to leave alot of room to stop,emergency stopping is terrible.
Does anyone know if just a more aggressive pad will make me happy or do I need to upgrade the calipers an pads?????????

9.9.14 036.jpg

Have you done anything to the brakes yet? I would check the condition of your current pads, I have seen the friction material start to separate from the steel due to rust and cause problems.

You can try these
http://ebcbrakes.com/

I assume you checked all four corners and everything look's fine ? I don't have any issues with my 97 1500 and I'm rolling on 35's .

Maybe something is wrong with your anti lock up system ? I can't remember if a 96 would throw a code for that but it might be worth checking into . Hey , It's a shot in the dark idea . lol

Even if the ABS doesn't kick in, the brakes should be fine.
Yeah but I was thinking maybe the ABS wasn't allowing enough pressure to the brakes when you stomp on them to give you good stopping power . Like I said , It's a shot in the dark .

I have not.Plowed this past storm and on the way home on clear roadway I stompted on the brakes and try to lock 'em up.Even the ABS didn't feel consistant.For now I just leave myself lots of extra room.For regular slow down they are not bad,but if you need quick stopping power,,,,,it's not there,,,,,,,

Replacing the calipers didn't fix the problem? I assume you bled them? My rear brakes are worn wayyy too far and my ABS light comes on all the time and the brakes work fine. Master cylinder could be bad if you're not getting enough pressure. You could check the caliper cylinder, maybe when it was rebuilt it wasn't honed or something. But you would think that it would be a different problem than what you had before. Brakes are usually pretty simple, so I don't know what else would cause a low pressure situation.

You might try vacuum bleeding from the caliper or wheel cylinder. Some of these system do not respond well to pressure bleeding.

Well,,,Finally got the truck on the lift.The inside of the rotors were so bad the pads had nothing to grab.PITA to install new rotors,also did pads and calipers and it feels good,,,,LMOL.It's my plow truck so it sits alot.Took it on the high way for a 40 mile trip,,,,,DEATH WOBBLE!!!!

Wow
Great find....
So:
The Front rotors were bad on the inside?

Now you have a Death Wobble ??

As was said in a different thread, go over everything up front and see what is loose. My son in law has a Dodge dually that needed a ball joint for waaaaaay too long and that would shake all over like crazy. Scared me watching it while following him, I backed off quickly in case anything happened.

Wow
Great find....
So:
The Front rotors were bad on the inside?

Now you have a Death Wobble ??
Amazing what's out in the cyberweb EH???? When I get a chance I will replace the 5 shocks and see what hapens.You have a Ram too Ski?
The inside of the rotor,you know the back side you can't see through the wheel?
It was corroded so bad from LACK of use.That explains the vibration in the pedal on a hard stop!

4.22.16 010.jpg

Last edited:
Back