• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Non roller cam ? Use oils with ZDDP or additive too?

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
I understand that the older Cummins have non roller cams and need oil with ZDDP in it too?

As far as I know all of the Cummins are a solid lifter/tappet setup. Any heavy duty oil like Rotella will have the proper additives. I think Zinc is the most crucial one for these engines.

Well, the CI-4 oils had the additive but the CJ-4 oils do not....so, I guess I'll need to find the additive to add when I run out of my supply of the CI-4 stuff. Thanks

Yes Shell rotella is the only oil I know of that has the additives for flat tappet cams
I prefer Amsoil Diesel myself,along with their trans,diff fluids

Yes Shell rotella is the only oil I know of that has the additives for flat tappet cams
I prefer Amsoil Diesel myself,along with their trans,diff fluids
All I can find anymore in the Rotella is the CJ-4 and that's the 'new' junk.....

So what addative has the zddp we need now that cj rotella is all that is aviable?

I googled cj-rotella and it has 1200ppm zinc and 1100 phosphorus. It is claimed that over time it has built up on the cam and lifters of older engines so it is not as big of a worry as a fresh rebuild. But if you want to be safe Lucas makes a additive that I have used with great results. There are others out there also.

I know that is what google says but the bottle says otherwise. When cj-rotella shows to have zinc content listed on the bottle then I will use it. Until then no and I am not relying on claims that the use of zinc buildup will protect anything.

I will just continue with Valvoline vr1 with zinc. No reason to buy an additional bottle for the sake of what should have been there to begin with and then worry about getting the mix correct.

I ordered the rislone today, should have it before I change the oil.

I do use the Valvoline VR1 in my gas flat tappet engines, including my dry clutch motorcycle. For a diesel engine I would rather add zinc to a diesel rated oil.

Back