• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

No Start???

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
OK. Just did the engine. got spark, got fuel. It's a 98 ram 1500 5.2l 2wd. Checked firing order, verified rotor Is on #1. Had a scanner on It and no codes also did an actuator test to make sure everything Is working all Is good.

Just did the engine, as in rebuild? Possibility it could be firing on the exhaust?
Silly thing because I have done it myself.

Yup. I verified It was 180 out. Still having split second start up then conking out. The back story. About a year ago I got In a wreck when I picked up this truck. Had a clean break of my collar bone which, Is still not right. Anyways, truck sat for 3 months then got back to work on it. It's been one thing after the next with this truck. I'm thinking IAC and bad gas since It's a year old.

Have had injected stuff sit for a few years and start right up.
That start and conïk sounds familiar.just can't put a thumb on it.

I did getting It running now It just idles. If you give it any kind of gas It stalls out. It's weird sometimes when idiling It sounds like It's sucking kind of like a well tuned carb on a sick ass engine. Then other times Its as quiet as a mouse. I was thinking that with It sitting did It go into re-learn mode. I say that because sometimes It will idle up then down then up then stall out. I'm just spit balling. It has set of the check engine a bunch of times and everytime It says something with either the crank or cam position sensor. I replaced It before stabbing her back in the truck. It was a cheap no name. I just ordered up a NTK crank sensor.

Patience, hope you have something to plug it into or if really luck can Bluetooth setting and diagnostics. Anyway sounds like you have some sort of screen to look at.

Yes my neighbor has an older matco scanner it's pretty sweet. When I was In the business I used the snapon red brick nothing like these new scanners.

I graphed the crank sensor and cam sensor and they were all over the place.

I was thinking maybe I need to have this thing tuned. I've got a hughes cam suppose to be a drop in but I went with a 1.7 ratio roller rocker.I also ported and modded the kegger as well as, the heads. I ran my numbers thru eagle cranks calculator and It's telling me that comp.Is at just about 10.3. Thats at a 9.599 deck height.

That's why I still have it. Not like many are still around. I am finding most simply got tossed.

Still haven't got this Kunt of a truck running. replaced crank sensor and tps with new NTK stuff. Still getting check engine and reading loss of crank signal and or cam signal as well as, another code that deal with crank and cam sensor signal. I'm going for the last thing a pick up coil.

Got to remember here untill it runs it cycles a new engine will show no codes. Cycles do not include brief runs and stops. The engine first needs to be brought to normal running temperature and then cycled under load threw out three runs to throw a code.
Not saying that there isn't equipment out there that can detect defects by turning it over by hand. I just don't know of it.

Got to remember here untill it runs it cycles a new engine will show no codes. Cycles do not include brief runs and stops. The engine first needs to be brought to normal running temperature and then cycled under load threw out three runs to throw a code.
Not saying that there isn't equipment out there that can detect defects by turning it over by hand. I just don't know of it.
He said in post #14 above it was setting codes, I would like the code numbers so I can look them up to try to be of further assistance

I got It. The pick up coil wires were pinched changed It out and bingo. Runs great now thanks for any and all assistance guys.

Back