• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New To The Trucks From TN

ckjarr

Reaction score
Hi all,
New member from TN here and looking to join the truck crowd soon! Little back story... Ive been around old Mopars my whole life, dad still has his first car (72 Scamp), so I’m not new to Mopars but new to this platform. Between dad and myself we have several old Mopars. Nothing really special or worth a lot of money but all drivers and a world of fun for the two of us! We really don’t need anything else as this time in life is incredibly busy for me (I’m 37 married with 3 kiddos!!!) but of all the things we’ve accumulated over the years together, we have no pickups... So I started searching some time back for a short bed pickup to set up as a shop truck. It didn’t take long to get bitten by the sweptline bug... I’ve been searching for 6 months or so and came close to buying some D150’s but just never have followed through on anything. Down deep I really want a sweptside... Then a few weeks ago I ran across a short bed in Los Angeles, CA and made a phone call. What started off as a not so serious inquire has escalated into a possible purchase 1600 miles away... We have never bought anything we couldn’t drive home, so... we are looking at taking what we’re calling “An Adventure” to LA to see if we can buy an old pickup, give it a good going over, and spending a few days driving back east to NW TN!!! Our only problem is this gentleman has no shop for us to go over the truck... Is there anyone that could direct me to a shop in LA that would allow us to spend a little time in and under an old truck so we can attempt this?! I have videos of the truck starting, running, driving, and going through the gears but I would want to change all the fluids, possibly replace all the rubber lines/belts/hoses, and inspect the brakes. Any help is greatly appreciated!! I will see if I can upload some pics of some of the old cars. I know how we all like pics... Thanks again everyone!!

67EC9A21-8A3E-41E6-AF13-D26F9667E9F9.jpeg
23FFF4EE-E287-4638-B975-C3B17E90D5DC.jpeg

Dads 72 Scamp

7EBF53CC-B0B1-4E24-97A7-61F5409FFD72.jpeg
582BF13F-1E0F-4E79-8798-85B807A888DF.jpeg

And this is the truck I would like to try to make a 30hr drive in... I just need a way to go over it a bit and replace the obvious.

I am not on the c body forum. I have spent time scrolling through from time to time learning different things. I have been on the a body forum for several years tho.

I'm not familiar with that specific area, but I'd comb the online yellow pages or the like and look for one of those hourly shop rentals, many of the larger cities seem to have a place where you can rent a stall for an hour or three with access to air and maybe some tools too.
Good luck

Thanks! I will look into that. I’ve never heard of stall rentals but I’ve never spent much time in a city like LA...

Thought I would share a few pics of my daily pickup as well since we all like pics and it’s a truck! I bought this truck right at 10yrs ago with just over 50k mi on it. I drive it nearly everyday so it currently has a little over 125k mi. It’s a blast to own and operate!
D2A4F4F0-357B-4CD6-962B-0038BE75A33E.jpeg
360B690B-A04E-4B10-8F33-99D9B4B16D56.jpeg
C4EE38A8-4481-40C3-977A-E48654491B02.jpeg

Wow. what a collection. That has to be nicest 71 Newport I have ever seen! Welcome aboard from NJ and good luck. Thanks for posting the pictures as well! 👍 :moparsmiley::popcorn2:

Thanks guys! We have a couple more but these are the ones currently moving under their own power fairly reliably... The 71 Newport was built in 03 by Steve Strope. You can read about it here if you would like:

I did just what you suggest in a Ramcharger about 10-12 years ago that my son still owns. from Vegas to (almost) Chicago. Id do it again.

Thanks guys! We have a couple more but these are the ones currently moving under their own power fairly reliably... The 71 Newport was built in 03 by Steve Strope. You can read about it here if you would like:

A Pure Vision ride? That's cool. I love them all, painted, stock, custom, Scruffy, they are all meant to be driven. Now, I'm going to go work on making another car that much closer to being on the road, thanks for sharing your rides.

I did just what you suggest in a Ramcharger about 10-12 years ago that my son still owns. from Vegas to (almost) Chicago. Id do it again.
That’s awesome! I looked into shipping the truck across the country but there’s just no fun in that... All of the cars we have that ran when we purchased them were driven home. Some were as close as 40mi and some were like the 74 Duster and road tripped from Cincinnati, OH back to TN. We’ve just always had a sag wagon and this time we just have one way tickets across the country and hope when we get there we can at least find somewhere to change fluids and address the worst before heading out! I honestly don’t really expect to make it all the way but I guess it’s where I am in life and the thought of the potential memories that could be made make me want to head out right now!! Hope we have a similar experience as you and your son!

Last edited:
A Pure Vision ride? That's cool. I love them all, painted, stock, custom, Scruffy, they are all meant to be driven. Now, I'm going to go work on making another car that much closer to being on the road, thanks for sharing your rides.
Yes, we bought it from the guy that bought it in 2005 from Mr. Strope. Still had the same rear tires dated 2003! He said he had never been on a long trip so we left his house and drove home over 2hrs! What more could you give a car than the road?!? It’s their purpose!

Back