• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Guy with some questions

dolfinwriter

Reaction score
Now living in SoCal. We have used our truck as a family car for quite a few years, and my son and I now use it for hunting.

Wow, this looks like it's for US made trucks only. I would not have guessed that from the name or URL.

Are you totally opposed to any discussion of Toyota trucks?

Hey, we're equal opportunity bashers......... come on in. There may or may not be more or less available knowledge or information about Toyota than some American trucks, but that would be more due to a lack of Toyota owners as site members than anything else.....

I'd take an older Toyota HyLux (yeah, it's the European name) any day. They go forever and over a surprising amount of obstacles in stock form.

And welcome aboard!

Hey, we're equal opportunity bashers......... come on in. There may or may not be more or less available knowledge or information about Toyota than some American trucks, but that would be more due to a lack of Toyota owners as site members than anything else.....

Hey Senior, thanks for the welcome.

My Toyota is a 2002 PreRunner V6 Crewcab and automatic. I bought it new and we now have 182,000 on it, and it's having a number of age related issues that just require some time to work on it. Passenger side front door was not unlocking for awhile. I thought I had that fixed and it worked for a couple of months. But this weekend I went hunting with my son, and it kept locking him in again.

The brakes have been giving me fits, but more so because two shops did not correctly diagnose a problem, and then when I said screw it and rebuilt both front and rear brakes myself even though I didn't have time (which is why I took it to a shop in the first place), I found that Autozone parts quality leaves a lot to be desired. This is the first time in my life that I've had issues with any brake parts. Now after driving it about 10k miles with whatever issues are occurring, I'm looking at possibly needing to rebuild front and rear brakes yet AGAIN, but this time with better quality parts. Needless to say, I am very unhappy with Autozone and I won't be buying ANY of their parts again.

Also this weekend I discovered that my cruise control stopped working. I was driving at night wen I first tried it. I continued to try it again and again over the next few days to see if it was an intermittent problem, but it didi't work any of the times I tried it. Then today, driving back from our hunting trip in daylight, the CC worked just fine. Then at some point I tried to turn on my headlights for some reason I don't remember now, and the CC disengaged. Hmmm... Turned off the lights, flicked the CC switch to resume and it worked. I repeated this a couple of times just to be sure, as soon as I turned the running lights on, the CC disengaed. So there is some relation to the headlights and/or running lights.

I will start with the door lock, power lock? I will assume it's power, look at the actuator for the lock, if it's not power I would be looking at the latch it self.

What's going on with the brakes? What parts did you replace when you did the work?

With the cruise some thing could be back feeding from the running light circuit, if it has a trailer connector check there for corrosion, any issues with the rear lights themselves?

That should get you started, report back so we can help, Merry Christmas.:)

With the lights and cruise control, are they on the same stalk? Could be the wires have rubbed enough over the 182,000 miles to cause a short? Something like that. I know I sold plenty of GM turn signal switches, which contains everything - lights, wipers cruise. Could be that simple, not too hard to replace, patience is your friend if you have to remove the steering wheel.

What did 2 shops miss with the brakes? I'm puzzled by that as brakes are fairly simple, hut WITH ABS I suppose some switches/sensors?

Sounds kinda funny, but I use Parts City (O'rilleys cheap store and often the same parts) and have only had 1 or 2 issues. Keep us posted, and keep that Toyota on the road!

This guy has 300,000 on this one, he swapped engines to keep the pristine body going.

IMG_20171206_095711.jpg

Back