• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Guy with an 87 D100

Slanted87

Reaction score
Hey-

So after my 69 Dart Was totaled I was really bummed. I have been looking for another A body. Being from california I was shocked at the prices of A bodies in Texas,even 4 doors! So I started looking at trucks as I have always liked the 73-89 Dodge trucks. I found this one today and I knew I had to bring it home!

1987 Ram 100
225 about 130,000 on it
833 O/D

Bare bones no radio,no a/c and no power steering! It needs a new bumper,driver and passenger door and right front fender,all of which I can get for about 200.00,other than that the bed is really straight,and she runs really well.

My plans are convert to HEI,convert the hydro motor to solid lifters, Light port on the head, bump up the comp to 9-9.5to1,clifford shortys,single side exit exhaust after the rear tire, erson 270 with a 108 lobe center(thanks Kevin) and super six(thanks Lou) with a holley 350 on top of it. Then just drive the wheels off of it. What do you guys think?

87Ram.jpg

sounds like a good plan , except for the HEI I really don't see why people go for a HEI but its your truck. My truck was very similar to yours ,good luck !

Thank you!

I am a mopar guy through and through,but there is no denying that the HEI is a really good system,and far superior to the factory Dodge EI. Chevy had to come up with a spark hot enough to burn all the gas left over in their poorly designed combustion chambers to pass emissions:becky: I might actually go with a MSD if I can find a used setup for a good price,also a good system,but you can get parts for the HEI at any parts store across the country,and they have them in stock.I have done the HEI swap on over 20 cars/trucks and it has been a noticeable improvement every time.

Jared

Welcome aboard and drive the wheels off of it. Try a Summit ignition box...they are cheaper than MSD.

FYI mancinirancing has a sale on msd6al at 190 or so you might want to check it , I had a summit box and it worked great.

I'm more of a V8 guy , but you can't kill a slant 6 . It look's like it's a good solid foundation for a build . Good luck with it , It's a nice truck .

I'm jealous of you guys with short boxes of this vintage..you can hardly find them in Nebraska that aren't A) junk or B) overpriced or C) both... all the ones I see on "The List" are always half the country away! What really sucks it the salvage yard I worked at last winter got a low mileage 84 in, I had it stashed and safely put aside to buy it.. the yard took a while to get their dealer license and in the meantime lost the title. So much for that.. rust free in Nebraska too! Oh well...
Looks like the beginnings of a real nice project.
Keep us informed!

Alan

Thanks everyone! I love this truck. Got the 4.56 gears on the way. Once I recover from the $$$holidays$$$ Im putting the 2bbl/HEI on and going to get a new exhaust,and add the sound system.

Back