• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need replacement fuel tank for '78 D-series

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
The inboard, main plastic gas tank on my '78 D300 is toast. I've tried to fix tanks like this several different ways, and all have failed, so I would like to find a steel replacement tank. Is such a tank available? Please edumacate me. Thanks a lot.

Muskote, I emailed LMC. They don't have a replacement tank, and aren't aware of a source for one. I guess I will have to have a steel tank made, if I decide that I care about it that much. In a D-300 dually with a 440, your cruising range is somewhat limited with the tank behind the seat.

Oh, I see..

I wasn't aware, that they switched from metal to plastic on late 70 models for the in cab tanks.
But anyway, the steel version should still fit right in...
Regarding mileage, also the standard tanks under the bed would fit, but then you would need to connect, place seperate lines, auxilliary setpup , etc....

Regards Muskote

No, I am talking about replacing the standard tank under the bed. The OE tank was plastic, and I'd like to replace it but it's NLA. The in-cab tank is steel, but not terribly large.

I think maybe a reproduction Ford pickup tank would work:

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
a ;ot of guys put '60s Mustang tanks at the back of the frame, or a Ram Charger tank.

Back