• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

My weird project

DART VADER

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a Mopar guy from way back. I'll be trolling around here for tidbits of info here and there. I have too many projects as it is but one that I'm just playing with here and there is a 70s Ramcharger. I got it from my sister after her husband passed early this year. It sat for a loooooong time so it is pretty much as basket case. I basically gave her money for it to help her out with the funeral costs. Any way I just wanted the frame and drivetrain. The rest is junk. I plan on making a hillbilly ratrod. I have a 1917 Dodge open tourer body that I plan on dropping on it just for Sh%@^s and giggles. I'll see where it goes from there. This is between my 69 big block Dodge Dart restoration and working on my wife's 65 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon.
1599446954594.png

That will be interesting! Whatcha gonna do with the dash out of the Ramcharger?

bought the 24 willis-overland touring body and was using it as yard art , then the chassi happened . its a good setup for what power train i'm not sure . but at least it all in one stop . love the idea if a jalopy build .

DCP01168.JPG

DSC03616.JPG

DSC03617.JPG

DSC03625.JPG

Ok doors are off, I was able to unbolt the roof. Will need help from my boys to take it off. Cutting out the floors and seats. So far the flame looks solid. I'll post some parts for sale here.

Ok, body is completely off. Frame looks good, no rot. I put good wheels on it and took the front frozen calipers off. Should roll now. After this pic I cut the exhaust off, load of acorns in there. I squirted some oil in the cylinders and got the engine to move a little with a breaker bar. I'm going to let the oil soak for a few days.

Ramcharger_frame small.jpg

The interesting part to soon begin? How to adapt stuff that was not designed to go together.
I need to get the house built and have some fun again.

The interesting part to soon begin? How to adapt stuff that was not designed to go together.
I need to get the house built and have some fun again.
I'll have to do some modifications to the old body. I took some measurements and it's not that far off. Nothing a little welding can't fix.

Welding and cutting should be what the hobby is about.
I have never understood the it has to be factory correct crowd. Many we not correct leaving the dealership the first time.

More good news. The 318 turned with a breaker bar. I had an issue with one of the spark plugs when I was messing around with the engine. I didn't want to break it so I squirted it down with some WD-40. It came out today. I also got the big fuel tank out. Had to let the J-bolts soak also. After 2 days they came out. I tried to use jumper cables and a battery to see if the starter would turn. No go. I took it off. I'll get it rebuilt at a local shop and try it again.

Ok, with a rebuilt starter and a cheap Autozone starter button I hooked up the battery directly to the starter. Pushed the button and it turned over. Now I'll change the oil and clean the motor a bit.

It has been awhile. Had to look to see what you were doing. Good to know that it turns over.

It has been awhile. Had to look to see what you were doing. Good to know that it turns over.
Thanks, it's a slow process. I'm trying to juggle 3 car projects at once. Plus this daylight savings time doesn't give me anytime to work on it during the week.

Next I plan to change the oil and filter, clean the motor a bit and hook up some sort of steering so I can move it around easier.

Back