• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

My Towing setup

Mopardude

Reaction score
My 06 Ram 1500 and 20" Load Trail
ramtrailer.jpg

Me and the old man just screwing around. We put my truck up on it and pulled it with his diesel. He has a fifth wheel camper that he pulls behind that 2500.
ramontrailer1.jpg
ramontrailer2.jpg

ramontrailer1.jpg

ramontrailer2.jpg

ramtrailer.jpg

Bumper pulling can get scary... Give me a 5th or a gooseneck any day.

Ever have a 15K lb "bumper pull" trailer start to sway on you, no matter how hard you step on the go-go pedal to try and straighten it out? Not a good feeling.

Now, 15K lb bumper pull trailers are rare, but they are out there.

I just don't like them. Seen one too many bad accidents where a gooseneck/5th would have never been the cause of the accident.

I have never seen a 15k trailer that wasn't design to be pulled by a dump truck or some sort of big truck like that. The weight of the trailer alone you would be pushing the tongue weight of any kind of pickup truck type of setup.

My F450 pick-up truck can do it... has done it... will probably do it again if absolutely necessary and I can't figure out a way to put the load on a gooseneck trailer.

weight.jpg

weight.jpg

Oh yea cause a F450 is totally not considered a heavy duty class of truck or anything. Its not like its wasn't designed to carry such loads.

In case you miss it, my last 2 statements were heavily saturated with sarcasim.

It's all good.

An F450 is actually not considered a heavy duty vehicle. It is considered a medium duty vehicle. After all, an F450 is only a Class 4 Vehicle. ;)

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicles-classes.shtml

And if we were to really split hairs, an F-450 is actually considered by everyone I know (can't speak for the people I do not know), to be a pick-up truck.

I have never seen a 15k trailer that wasn't design to be pulled by a dump truck or some sort of big truck like that. The weight of the trailer alone you would be pushing the tongue weight of any kind of pickup truck type of setup.

Either way. No, a 450 is not a little wanna be tow of a machine pick-up truck like say a 1/2 ton. But it still is referred to as a pick-up truck.
A 450 is NOT a heavy duty truck, as it falls into the medium duty category.
A 450 can indeed tow 15K lbs... and it is a pick-up truck.

Here's mine ,my first ram dually a 95 cummins.Pintle hook trailers are the ones i hate they beat the crap out of you.

004.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

Thanks had lots of fun [went from Clearwater Fla. to Newberry Mass. and back in 4 1/2 days [took cat naps up and back] including unloading 5 boat/trailer combos on one of my first trips] made good money for a little while then the bottom fell out, fewer runs less money, had to part with my truck couldn't afford the payments with a normal 9-5. I miss the traveling waking up in a different place every day,after i came off the road i had to tape the sounds of the truck stop [trucks running,reefers running ect.] just so i could go to sleep in my bed at home. I would do it again but age is creeping up on me.

F450 powerjunk is a poor excuse of a diesel truck anyway.... so who cares what it will pull, it won't pull it long.......

LOL

Nice Dodge Trucks lou and mopardude, BTW, my pics of my trailer puller are in the Cummins section.

You're not a Dodge nutthuger or anything, are you...

I don't care if it doesn't "pull" for long. I have 131K on my 08. At 150K I'm getting a new one. Some people can buy a new truck every few years. ;)

Keep your "pullig" truck as it falls apart around the engine. I'll just drive a nice new one and if if quits, then I know a place where they have so mane FORD trucks, they sell them. I know, shocking.

150K? I would go broke having to buy a New truck every two years.... What a waste.

Again the ole ford/international diesel vs dodge/cummins vs chevy/duramax will there be a winner i don't think so every one likes certain things about their brand and the argument will continue.The fords had a good engine in the 7.3, dodges auto transmissions have had their problems and chevrolet/gmc came up with the duramax and secured the allison auto [dodge now has them in the 4500/5500].Each truck has it's nich and followers so be loyal to your brand just don't badmouth others choices.

I hear you Lou, to me I prefer Dodges but I like them all for different reasons! All three spend so much time being the other, the only real differences between them is the name any how. Its all about profit margins and steeling sales away from the other 2 and not what the customer wants anyways.

150K? I would go broke having to buy a New truck every two years.... What a waste.

And that's fine. It's my money I'm "wasting", not yours. ;)

Again the ole ford/international diesel vs dodge/cummins vs chevy/duramax will there be a winner i don't think so every one likes certain things about their brand and the argument will continue.The fords had a good engine in the 7.3, dodges auto transmissions have had their problems and chevrolet/gmc came up with the duramax and secured the allison auto [dodge now has them in the 4500/5500].Each truck has it's nich and followers so be loyal to your brand just don't badmouth others choices.

Completely agree.

I actually own an 05 3500 Dodge with a Cummins. It's one of my business' partner's company trucks... so I guess I co-own it... Turbo went out at 120??? ish thousand miles. We bought a new turbo from Cummins to the tune of a little over a grand, put it on and then the engine exploded shortly thereafter. Literally lifted the head off the block by a couple of inches over 5 and 6 cylinders. So, 8,000 dollars later (used engine plus install labor), he was back on the road.

I don't care who it's made by, International, Cummins, Isuzu... they're all made my man. And man is not perfect. If you like your Cummins, that's fine. It's a fine motor. But our 05 is literally falling apart around the engine, with only 150ish K miles on it.

I had 160K miles on an 03 6.0 Liter. I sold last year and the new owner tacked another 15K miles on it. Aside from 2 injectors and the HPOP, it never gave me an trouble.

My 6.4 is making decent power with a mild tune, my UOA's always come back great and the truck starts every morning. I can't ask for anything more.

Not arguing with that every brand has it's share of problems your dodge may have had an engine built on a friday afternoon LOL, some of us are fortunate enough to get a new truck every 2 years [if it's for busness purpose then hell yes makes no sence to keep racking milage on a work truck] cheeper to buy a new one every 2 years. I personally do not like fords or gm trucks the body styles are not to my liking plus the v8 mileage however i dont like the new dodge body style for 2011 either and unsure of the bigger cummins.

Back