• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

My 1976 ramcharger engine build

gnome

Reaction score
ok so i yanked the 360 out of the ramcharger so time to rebuild.... just a few starter pics...more to follow as i update it.

what i plan to do is....

throw some 340 j heads with a MP purple 268 272
use rhodes(sp?) variable lifters to get my low end torque

hopefully i wont need to bore it out..i think i will just go with a standard bottom end if i can get away with it.

who knows it may all change as i go along...but i hope to have it back in so i can ride with the top off this summer :pray2:

Good luck on your rebuild. My Son-in-law and I just got done rebuilding the 360 in his dart.

74 dart 218.jpg

74 dart 218.jpg

so the guy at the machine shop measured the cylinder wall and said .10 would do but i recommend .30..... really? lol not too shabby for a ~35yr old engine. i have talked to other mechanics and they said for .10 they would just hone it. hhmmm what do you guys think? can i just get by? or find a deep pocket for to finance my machine shop work?

i'm dropping off the crank today to have it checked out and worked...

still hoping for that standard rebuild... :/ i blew the top off of my kobalt compressor so that cut deeply into my engine rebuild fund.

2011-07-14_11-00-45_526.jpg

and with the new..i think i will plumb in the old tank to increase the capacity

2011-07-14_11-00-09_773.jpg

so the guy at the machine shop measured the cylinder wall and said .10 would do but i recommend .30..... really? lol not too shabby for a ~35yr old engine. i have talked to other mechanics and they said for .10 they would just hone it. hhmmm what do you guys think? can i just get by? or find a deep pocket for to finance my machine shop work?

i'm dropping off the crank today to have it checked out and worked...

still hoping for that standard rebuild... :/ i blew the top off of my kobalt compressor so that cut deeply into my engine rebuild fund.

2011-07-14_11-00-45_526.jpg

and with the new..i think i will plumb in the old tank to increase the capacity

2011-07-14_11-00-09_773.jpg
I am pretty sure he told you that because that is the common not back ordered replacement pistion size......10 over is not and your only other option would be to run oversized piston rings and that I do not recommend

Im no genius but you cant really expect to overhaul an engine without boreing it out. The walls are probably ovalled anyway. Now days it is tought to overhaul an engine on a budget and moparts are getting more expensive.

I personally would find the money to get it bored and whatever else the bottom end needs now and forget about your heads for now. Easier to do it now and you basically have a a brand new bottom end that might last another 35 years before you have to do anything with it again. I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you up the compression a bit and with the cam you want to put in, even with the heads you already have its going to have a lot more get up and go.

well... i just did the standard honing out after removing the ridges. installed the cam and j heads and threw a rpm airgap intake on it. almost everything is opposite from the LB4D but i fingered it out.

i had ran out of cash and so i wasnt able to get the pistons and afford all the machining. it was definitely a learning experience of doing some thing 2 times. next time i will save the cash to have them do all the machining of the block.

it runs great, and been driving it all week to break it in. just finding stuff i should of done and may redo the front and rear cork intake gasket with a nice thick bead of sealer as it is leaking now as it sits. uncovering water leaks from cheap chinese hose clamps ugh!! oh well so far so good..its great to have it back on the road for sure! i missed it... some pics to follow:

just pulled it
2011-07-09_20-13-45_99.jpg

the tear down
2011-07-13_11-05-18_326.jpg

the honing begins
2011-07-17_14-14-12_861.jpg

Body work ? What body work ? That Ramcharger look NICE the way it is ! Now for the next time you do a motor for it , why don't you try this ? Pick up a good running 360 ( while your still running this motor ) and build it slowly as you come up with the money . That way you can everything you want done and still not be without your pride and joy . Just a thought !

Body work ? What body work ? That Ramcharger look NICE the way it is ! Now for the next time you do a motor for it , why don't you try this ? Pick up a good running 360 ( while your still running this motor ) and build it slowly as you come up with the money . That way you can everything you want done and still not be without your pride and joy . Just a thought !

good idea... when i get extra cash i will look for another 360.

and no the body is rusting in the normal spots... photos somehow hide it well. and the right side is kinda smashed looks like the door side swiped something...was like that when i bought it. but its still solid for a '76

It's deinitly solid for a 76 or any year Ramcharger . Liveing in the rust belt , I'd kill to find an early Ramcharger like your's . I've had about 11 of them and your's make's me miss my ole 78 the most . The guy that did that one over before me loved mud and he was good with it . I had done everything mechanicly to it ( and I do mean "evey thing" ) but I just could'nt keep up with the body were I was liveing before . But on a bright side , the guy that bought it over 10 years ago still has it . He called me looking for some parts for his other Ramcharger . Just go's to show you , You can't kill an ole Mopar !

think there would be any interest for an ld4b intake and a truck 360 OE oil pan and vavle covers...i would have to clean them up.
how much for the ld4b?ass a nice ramcharger....i have a 79 trailduster,but its not as nice as yours....scott the rust in all the normal places.

mikes trailduster.jpg

Last edited:
Back