• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

My 1971 Dodge CN-800 resto

j-miller

Reaction score
This is kind of a continuation of my other thread and I thought I would start up some type of resto thread for my '71 CN-800 since I have been tinkering around with it here lately. As in my other thread this truck has a Cummins V-504 naturally aspirated V-8 diesel. It has a 5 speed trans and 2 speed rear axle. I bought this truck back in 2003 or 2004 (can't remember anymore) from a local farmer who was selling it for $1,200.00. It was originally a single axle truck and the farmer added a lift tag axle so he can haul more weight and also the pintel hook and air line to haul a pup trailer.

Over the years I drift back and forth with it between my other car projects,so not a whole lot gets done on this truck too much. Well I got that itch right now and been working on here lately again.

Here's my before pics. of when I first bought it.

scan0008_detail.jpg

scan0003_detail.jpg

scan0002_detail.jpg

scan0010_detail.jpg

Well it wasn't long after I bought it,I had some black frame paint and silver laying around and put a little make up on it to make it somewhat prettier.

HPIM0486_detail.JPG

HPIM0488_detail.JPG

In 2005 I went to Georgia in a hurricane to pick up the remains of another truck that had good fender's,hood,better looking fuel tanks,etc.. It rained hard the whole way down and pretty much the whole way home. The first pic of when I finally got home and the others are before I picked up the remains.
IMG_0202_detail.JPG

Img_0562.jpg

Img_0563.jpg

Last edited:
Well the truck went to the wayside for a bit,and then I came back to it and removed the good parts off the trucks I brought back from Georgia and removed my old fenders,grill and hood. I only got as far as putting the "new" hood on,till a few years later.

IMG_0590_detail.JPG

Well a couple years had past and I messed around with the old girl again,and got the grill and the lower part of the swing out fenders installed somewhat. Then here within these last couple months I got the upper portion of the fenders bolted up ,and the left side I need to work on some more to make the body line better and open and close better as well. These pics are what it looks like for now.
I had glass beaded the dry air filter canister and will be removing the oil bath style air filter that is mounted on the right side of the truck by the hood. I replace the roof lights and upgraded the bulbs to LED's and did the same with the fender mounted turn signals.

2012-10-22_15-06-31_993_detail.jpg

2012-11-30_10-21-22_22_detail.jpg

2012-11-30_10-21-41_562_detail.jpg

2012-12-01_14-11-58_665_detail.jpg

I have been working on removing extra air lines for the lift tag axle and will be removing that as well because I have no need for it. I gotta replace the heater hose's since they were brittle and hard and try and figure out were all my anti freeze goes and hope it's not in the motor. Also working on some of the electrical stuff as it looks like a rats nest under there and want to clean that up and eventually may get all new gauges and rewire the whole thing over...that way I know whats been done.
The body work don't seem to bad...just a few rust holes,and at the bottoms of the doors. I do need to find all the weather stripping and seals for the whole truck as well.

Last edited:
my dad recently bought a 1973 CT-900 Dodge Tandem has a 413 4bbl and a 5 & 4 transmissions setup. quite a beast. I haven't gotten to drive it yet to figure that part out.

my dad recently bought a 1973 CT-900 Dodge Tandem has a 413 4bbl and a 5 & 4 transmissions setup. quite a beast. I haven't gotten to drive it yet to figure that part out.

You oughta post pics of your dads truck sometime.

Had some time today before darkness settled in and I got my dry air filter put on today and still waiting for a new top hat that will go into the black rubber fernco adaptor.

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Got my chrome air breather thingy for on top of my air filter canister yesterday and installed it on the truck today and looks cool as heck.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo (1).jpg

Hay John!! This is my first time back in a long time, doing everything to keep my computer
running... I have been enjoying this build and thank you for posting it for us

ct900

here are some pictures of my dads ct900. It is a 413 4bbl. with a 5 & 4 transmissions.tandem, air brakes. quite a beast. really the truck is super solid.bed has the surface rust. we are gonna repaint it. He is thinking about painting the bed red. and leaving the truck so it would be red white and blue. i think paint the cab solid white and then do the bed in red. but we will see also have to repaint and touch up the wheels. hope you like it. I was impressed when i relized it had a factory tach in the dash. and its cable driven.

photo(4).jpg

photo(5).jpg

photo(6).jpg

photo(7).jpg

photo(8).jpg

Last edited:
Back