• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Moving my cars is becoming a full time hobbie for me, sound familiar??

convdart440

Reaction score
hey guys and gals, I'm looking for some feed back from you to a few simple questions. I will try to keep this short, but I must give a lead into my questions. I have spent endless hours of my life buying , selling , wrenching and MOVING cars all over my local area, mostly to keep the cars from getting ticketed and worse impounded. Some say I have to many cars/vehicles, and I can see that they may have a point. Except they don't have the car sickness/love affair that I know a lot of us have. Some people are into motorcycles, boats, trucks, planes etc I happen to love cars, mostly muscle cars so I am a " A CAR GUY " and should be looking for some professional help. Instead I'm thinking my next vehicle should be a flat bed or at least a tow truck. So where do I store my cars??? I'm going to make my own type of storage with some very interesting features, So the questions:
1: would you be interested in storing your car ( for the sake of argument ) in a place that you could work on your car 24/ 7 / 365, if the price was right ??.
2: if there were price tiers like a membership that had storage as the basic level and then price goes up from there basic , good, better , best . the higher the tier the better the benefits , like towing, or shop access that would have tool kits to utilize and access to multiple car lifts, cherry pickers and a cleaning area with solvent tank, parts washers , bead blasters etc.
Basically a private full service shop for club members only to store there cars and have a safe environment to work on their own rides whenever they choose, a non profit club, for like minded people like my self that don't need 12 step programs just a 12 cylinder engine to work on but a place store our vehicles to wrench on our cars where we don't get harassed.
3: Would such a place interest you?
thanks for reading and hopefully leaving some feedback either way pro or con

Not in California. Would be nice to have a facility of that nature close by tho.
We had such s facility while stationed in the AF. Could rent shop space by the hour, day or month. Also had a tool crib for those without tools and for those needing special tools.

It would be great for the right guy, like 7mopar said I had the same access to a AF base facility when I was in. Now I have a full shop where I work and some things at home.

If a facility was close I would still use it today. But it would have to have equipment that would be impractical for most to have at home and many would not know how to use anyway.

I have considered this since i was in my 20’s. 30 years later im still thinking how i could make it viable. Insurance and getting financing are two big hurdles. 20 stalls and a certified technician are the minimum requirement.
Having to equip a service bay for mechanical or bodywork is expensive.
Rotesseries-how many?
Welders? Prepared to repair them?
The possibilities are endless,beer drinking needs to be considered, also late nights and weekends are a must. Shop would need a spray booth too.
Theres an ideal building not far from me,big enough for a dozen cars i think,but too many variables biggest one being the human factor. I couldnt be there 24/7.
Shop supplies,cleaning supplies fire extinguishers and such.
Evey bay gets caged in chain link to keep the “borrowers” out?
Ten or fifteen guys is a lot of personalities to deal with, especially the “needy” ones.
I could go on, but you get the idea.

Yes, it could be done. Non profit? Bad idea.

Im a certified technician,worked in small shops and a big dealership.
I cant imagine how to control customers fixing their own cars. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Car guys doing builds or restoring their rigs, sure. Common ground, makes for a good plan.

Someone is doing it. Took a screen shot.
AA89D00B-106A-42D8-A796-2322D3D72AFB.png

Back