• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

more oil leak

ram150

Reaction score
I replaced the oil sender unit, still leaks, photo gallery has photos (1986 Ram bed )photo desc. Could it be the horizontal part that the mount for the sender mounts to? I still cannot find manual so Need instructions if possible. ( Hey I am now a " "senior" so memory isn't what it used to be. Thanks JHB

For some reason it look's like you have two oil pressure senders with an adapter . The new one is for a gauge and the one that looks like it's still in the truck is for a idiot light . Do you have both for some reason ? If you have a oil gauge on your dash and not a light then personally I'd take the adapter and the idiot light sender out and install just the new one right into the block like it's supposed to be .

leak

For some reason it look's like you have two oil pressure senders with an adapter . The new one is for a gauge and the one that looks like it's still in the truck is for a idiot light . Do you have both for some reason ? If you have a oil gauge on your dash and not a light then personally I'd take the adapter and the idiot light sender out and install just the new one right into the block like it's supposed to be I appreciate your help.
eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. The hole in the looks bigger than the pot type unit, which was sold as the one for gauge, which is what the truck has (full gauges). If I remove the horizontal piece & the vertical adapter will the pot gauge screw into block as it looks like it won't fit w/o hitting intake manifold? Thanks JHB

The threaded whole in the block should be the same size whole and thread . Normally you see only one sending unit that's why I was surprised when I saw you had two of them . That's were the factory put them so you shouldn't have any clearance issues . The only tricky part is that you don't have much room to get a wrench on it to install it .

It's either that or replace both units and keep it as it is . Your choice .

The connectors on the unit only leave a little more than 1/8 " between prongs & firewall . where does the unit connect to block , as the terminal end is horizontal but appears to have a vertical component going down to block , the vertical part the pot screws into appears to have a gap under it but It looks as if you tried to remove the horizontal part you would break off the part going to the block .or can you twist the plug end around so a wrench of socket will turn just the plastic part. I know I am being a pain but I cannot afford to take it to a shop, so am doing it with a machinist neighbors help. (He is 10 # lighter & fits under hood better

Take a picture of what your talking about . The sending unit threads right into the back of the block . Normally you have either a gauge unit or an idiot light unit but you had both with an adapter . If your trying to eliminate one of those units then remove the adapter and thread the new unit right into the block . The sending units are one piece and "don't" try to take them apart . It will blow oil out all over the place . I know the unit for the gauge can be a pain to get at the flats with a wrench but it can be done . That's why I recommended using a crows foot to install it . Or a very short wrench . Worst case scenario , if you can't get to it then you could pull the distributer to get at it . But that's the worst case scenario .

Back