• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar Fanatic from Saskatchewan Canada!

89on35s

Reaction score
Hello all! I signed up for this website a long time ago but I never introduced myself. I spend a lot of time over at FABO because I have been working hard on my 74 Duster the last few years. Because of that, my 89 swb pick up has been severely neglected the last several years. I will get it back on the road this spring right after I finish up a couple upgrades to the Duster.

It is an 89 W-150 with a regular cab and a 6.5' box. It is equipped with A/C, tilt and cruise from factory with a somewhat trashed factory red interior. It has the factory light bar from my 84 Dodge that I rolled many years ago and a custom front bumper made by me. Long ago I installed 4" rancho front springs, a skyjacker 4" dropped steering arm, Rancho RS-5000 shocks and horrible rough thick overload leaf packs in the rear. Those rear leaf packs (at least the main leaves) are bent beyond repair from one time that I went to get a load of gravel with it and the guy put way too much on before I could get him to stop.

It has the original 318tbi engine, a 727 auto, NP 241 transfer case with a fixed rear yoke and swapped in Dana 60s front and rear both with open 4.10 geared diffs. Just before I quit driving it I put 38x 12.5-16.5 swampers on it but the lift is not quite enough for them so something has to change there.

The goal will be for the truck to live at the cabin for the summer and work as my winter hot rod at home when the Duster g ets put away. Currently there are fuel problems preventing me from starting it, but when it runs then there is a monstrous ATF leak coming from inside the bellhousing. It just needs a couple weekends of TLC for it to be ready for the road.

I look forward to learning and sharing here on this site.

Cley
20171014_1720541.jpg

617.jpg

Welcome aboard from NJ - USA. Nice pair! I am addicted to aluminum slotted wheels like on the Duster and am grateful they are being made again. What's in the Duster? My neighbor has an 89 similar to yours, tbi fuel pump went out on him also, very hard to get parts, or at least it was. I had an 82 Ramcharger 4x4 myself w/ 4 spd. and loved it. Hope you get the truck running soon!

Thanks guys, The Duster has a 360 a-998 (soon to be an A-500) and a 3.23sg 8 1/4" rear. It has AC that I need to get finished under the hood and a few other little things. Ideally I'll tinker on it in the Winter and drive it in the summer.

As far as the fuel parts for the 89, I think everything is available but I may go to an FI Tech 400hp base unit so it will be easier to support motor mods in the future. And yeah, I love aluminum slots too. I hope to get the 8 bolt 17x10s for the 89 when I put different tires on next.

Cley

Hello from Minnesota, fellow FABO'ER. I recognize that car! Only 4" lift and almost fit a 38" tire? Not bad, I should be able to do a 37" tire with a 6" lift in my 72!

Actually there is a 3" body lift as well. I still need to modify the fender wells because no matter how high you lift it, you still really can't fit more than a 35" tire in the wheel well. Have a look at the picture below. They used rear Bushwacker flares from a second generation (94-01) Ram both front and rear on this truck. I am going to do the same thing eventually but for now, I am going to cut out the rust from my fenders and fleet sides to allow the room I need. I will likely end up with a 37" All terrain or Mud terrain that I can run in the winter since Swampers on ice are like Bambi on the frozen pond!

Cley
valvoline truck.PNG

Back