• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

mds ticking noise while coasting, 4th gen 5.7

mopar56

Reaction score
I thought I would see what if anything people here know about this, so my truck is a 2011 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7, Canadian truck, 114kms, the issue is with the windows rolled down and you are coasting along side a fence or row of cars etc about 25-50 kms you here a LOUD ticking noise like a card in a Bicycle spoke this is NOT an exhaust stud noise, the problem is related to the MDS system if you put the truck in "tow haul" or manual 4th gear it goes away immediately there are lots of post on the net but nothing conclusive, if you speak with a Chrysler dealer they say they never heard of it?, I have not yet phoned FCA but will soon, the three most popular things that are said to have cured this are #1 the MDS solenoids under the intake plenum either one or all, the cam phaser, same spot I believe, and lastly the timing chain because apparently the plastic guide wears and causes a rattle noise when the engine is under a different load in MDS, there is updated metal guides with the new chain kit, when talking to the local dealer he says it is unlikely the T/C would be worn at 114km which I tend to agree with also the noise sounds exactly like a ticking solenoid, so........tell me what you Ram owners that have gone through this know as summer is here and the windows are down!

Back