• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Manufacturers recommended oil

thinman666

Reaction score
Would someone tell me what weight engine oil is in the original owners manual for the 1969 F100 6 cylinder 240 ci?
Thanks,
Russell

I google this and found a thread where someone talked about this, what his service manual for his 67 F100 said was a 240 wanted 20w40 or 30w. I would be comfortable using 15w40, 10w40 or 10w30 in colder temps

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been using 20w40 since it’s total rebuild approximately 5000 miles ago but was really curious about Ford’s recommendation.

Thanks a lot,
Russell

Won't matter what they thought back then (Ford that was)
1. Warranty is over, a lot of their recommendations are "CYA" driven
2. Today's oils are not the same as oils from then. Different additives and such than were available then.
3. Fresh rebuild, tolerances may be different from new, (everybody's idea of a "rebuild" isn't the same) and today's rings, piston materials, bearings may be different from brand new.
4. How YOU drive, how much you let it idle, vs anyone else, how often do you change it, also can have an effect on exactly what weight to use.

To me they spec out way too thin of an oil now a days. Being a fresh engine, I don't think you need 15w40 or 20w50, but it's not an OHC engine with valve timing actuators either. (Like today's engines)
On a 60s-70s-80s straight 6, in somewhat normal driving, I'd go 10w30 or 10w40 conventional.
I've seen 20w40 listed in old manuals, but never actually seen it for sale anywhere.

Volaredon, thanks for your input. Sounds logical. I’ve been out of commission so that’s why I’m late replying.

I run 10W30 conventional in all my classics and daily drivers, except my newer 12' Challenger I use the recommended 5W20. In my Diesel Ram Dually I use 15W40 Rotella.

Back