• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Magnum head combustion chambers????

Not sure why they would make a tacky assemble lube. I like my crankshafts to turn freely by hand even at those clearances.

Not sure why they would make a tacky assemble lube. I like my crankshafts to turn freely by hand even at those clearances.
Sounds like more like came lobe lube. Flat tappet of course.

Sucks about the broken ring, but I feel your pain. I have never broke a ring until I did a set in a 13 Equinox 2.4 for my kid. 3 cylinders in and on the last it didn't feel right so I pulled it out to find a broken ring:( I have always used a ring compressor like this one

1669175599168.png

Since I broke that ring I bought one similar to this set

1669175856140.png

Yup, I was thinking the same thing on the lube. Sporty I was installing the ring onto the piston when It broke.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing on the lube. Sporty I was installing the ring onto the piston when It broke.
Been there, done that. These help but the ones with the adjustable stop are the only way to go. OTC4389
They make fancy (expensive) ones for the machine shops but these work great.

piston ring expander.jpg

Yup I have the ones with no stop. It's kind of funny because I'm super careful usually about how much I open the ring. I don't know It's just been a real PIA with this build don't know why haven't changed up anything In my process.

I have never broke one putting them on the piston. I have never used the ring installation tool, I always roll them on by hand. That's how I learned 35+ years ago and been doing it that way since

I have never broke one putting them on the piston. I have never used the ring installation tool, I always roll them on by hand. That's how I learned 35+ years ago and been doing it that way since
Hard to do with damaged thumbs. But use to do it that way also.

A magnum is no harder/different to rebuild than any LA engine I have worked on. Done enough of both to know.

I used to do the same but, someone introduced me to the pliers and haven't looked back since. Happy Thanksgiving yall.

Back