• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lowering the front of an 89 d100

Littlered89

Reaction score
Ok everyone. I know there is a million posts about this but I have a specific question about this. Hopefully I'm not the only one this has happened to.

I completely rebuilt the steering and suspension in my 89 d100. I bought 2" drop shackles for the rear just to reduce some if the rake from the factory. The "stock replacement leaf springs" also gave me 2" drop, so now I have 4"ish drop in the rear. The new stock replacement front coils seemed to lift the front just a bit, but I assume that's just because they are new. So I bought the LCAs for a B series van and did all the modifications to make them work. Job is done but with out the shock being installed the coil spring wiggles thus the shock is what's keeping the spring tight.

Once the truck is in the ground it will be fine but lifting it for repairs or if it ever leaves the ground for other reasons (hopefully not) will that destroy my shock?

Again, everything I have put on has been stock replacement parts. There is even a 1/2-3/4" spring isolator on the top.

Has anyone that has lowered one of these trucks ever had this issue?

An option is to install suspension 'limiters' on the front end to limit the rebound distance....but no to your question, never lowered a truck but have done some cars. And suspension limiters are sometimes used on race cars when they have enough power to lift the front tires on the launch. Torsion bar cars usually don't need them unless the car is experiencing too much bump steer once the front end is up.

My d150 is lowered, done by the previous owner. As far as I can tell it's the same setup - van control arms with stock components. The spring does not rattle around in there, but I haven't taken the shocks off the front. I can't imagine the shock getting "destroyed" when you're lifting it up to work on it, though, that's a pretty small/slow amount of force.

I do plan to replace those shocks on mine soon, I could report back

Well thanks anyway guys but I put it down in the ground last night and it sits way to low for my taste. I'm going for a nice stances truck not a snow plow. I now have to modify the stock arms to take a 3/4 bolt. Oh well. Thanks again.

Back