• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking to get into a Ramcharger, what do I need to know?

Reaction score
I have owned a 92 Ford Ranger 3L regular cab for almost 18 years now, and while I love that truck and will never get rid of it willingly, I am looking to pick up something a little bigger (I'm 6'4") and with 4wd. I love the old Dodge Ramchargers, and have been doing some research, but I have a few questions. What is the best year(s) to look at, would I be better off with the 318 or the 360, and which is more reliable, automatic or manual? I'm sure there are pros and cons to each, but I would like to hear from those that have actual experience with them. Also, what would be a good price to pay? I've seen decent looking examples of pretty much each decade they were offered going for between $2K and $5k. Any and all advice would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I like the early ones with the removable caps personally but I have never owned one. I have been told its not realistic of those models to through the top on and off all the time. 318 and 360 for the most part are the same engine and the same realiability. I would try to find one with a 360 for the torque but 318 will do to and you can easily swap in a 360 in its place. Either tranny is decent pick what you like. Around this area where we live you probably won't find a decent shape RC for less than 5k. You can probably get a strong runner for $1500-$2500 but the body is going to be rough! RC has always been a dream vehicle of mine to have as well and I always have an my eye out looking for any kind of Dodge truck pre 94 for the last couple of years now. Beat up ones are out there fairly regularly but decent ones are rare and if you see one jump on it fast because it won't be for sale for long.

Back