• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

lil red trany swap

shortbox

Reaction score
I recently bought a lil red that I intend to build into a midnite express. I want to put in a 4 speed, a 833, and I was wondering if I have to change the floor to the one with a bigger hump or will the floor that I have work? My floors are good and I really don't want to cut them up. Also is there any sites that would be helpful for this swap? Thx

I believe you just have to cut a hole in the side of the hump. And then there is a fiberglass piece that bolts on to provide room for the shifter mechanism. I think I have one I could sell if you can't find one locally. The swap is very straightforward, what are you wanting to know?

Well I ripped the carpet out and the floors aren't as good as I thought so I will put in new ones. The reason I thought the humps may be different is because of a pic I seen on the net. Other questions are things like cross members and also if I chose to use a non OD 833, which shifter do I use. I would like to find a miser donor truck, that would be this easiest

Cross member should be the same as your 727. B & E bodies, vans, and trucks all used the same long tailshaft 833. The rods, shifter, and shifter mounting bracket will be truck specific, though. Shifters are the same between OD and non, but the 3-4 shift rod will be different (I think the other rods are the same). Anything pre '75 will be non OD, anything '75 and newer will be OD, and most likely aluminium case. The countershaft front bearing sometimes wallows out the aluminium case if it's been lugged a lot, just an FYI.
Yeah, a donor truck is definitely the easiest way to go.

The 4 on the floor tranny in my '74 D300 uses the same bolt on transmission tunnel as the '77 4 wheel drives. The the cab has a hole in the cab floor, unlike the solid floor with auto trannys.

Back