• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lil Red Confirmation

440RUNNER

Reaction score
Looking for some info on where to find the Vin for my little Red. I purchased the Truck recently and i am currently in the process of disassemby to start the restoration. Normally the vin is located on the Drivers side dash however i removed the dash and could not find any vin info. I do have a tag on the Drivers side door and the Radiator Core support has the fender tags however i can't seem to find the vin stamped anywhere. I have attached a picture of the Tag on the core support and the door frame which is all i can find.
Can anyone offer any info on where i should be looking for numbers to verify it is actually a Little red.

Little Red 1979 3.jpgLittle Red 1979 7.jpgLittle Red 1979 8.jpg

Little Red 1979 3.jpg

Little Red 1979 7.jpg

Little Red 1979 8.jpg

That's your Vin tag . The 79 should be on the door jam and the 78 is on the door .But I have seen some early 79's on the door ( like my 79 Warlock ) . The location is one of the reason's I think people should be real careful because there is a lot of clones out there . The fifth digit of your VIN should be an S . If you need any help on were the numbers are elsewhere on the truck , like places on the frame just ask or you can even just give me a shout if you like .

Thanks Bear. I found some info on another site which indicated where on the frame the stamped number was. I found the Matching vin on the frame just behind the passenger side front leaf spring perch. Everything matches so looks like i have a real deal LIL Red. Do you know if there is a sequence number for little red's? I believe for 1979 there were 5188 produced so is there any way to tell where in the production line a certain truck was produced. Thanks again.

That's a good question and I'm surprised no one has asked me that before . I'm surprised I never even thought of that myself . I'm going to have to check on that one . Another interesting spot to check ( At least on the 78's , I'm not 100 % sure on the 79"s ) is under the left chrome step , on the front step support bracket . There was a tag put there at the factory . This was put there to make sure the correct cab and bed were put together during assembly . A lot of times though that tag gets lost if the truck was restored before . Quick question , Is yours supposed to have the original 360 in it ?

When i bought the truck it didn't have a motor or Transmission but i have a couple of options i'm keeping open. I picked up a 360 last week and have a couple of 727's laying around however i have a good 400 i took out of my Roadrunner so toying with the idea of putting a 400/4speed setup. I have a 73 Roadrunner with a 500 Stroker and dual quad setup so it takes care of my power itch so now looking at building a street cruiser with a little better gas consumption.

Well you have a couple of good options there . If you do the 360 right , you could have good torque , power , and get some decent mileage with it . Weather you use the four speed or the automatic with it . The 400 isn't a bad idea either . But personally I wouldn't leave the 400 stock . Not if you want good mileage and power . But you could do that motor as well to do the same things as the small block . A bonus , you could have a big block LiL Red . It's a toss up . Obviously I like my Big Blocks , I'm running a warmed up 440 in my Warlock . But that's what is taking care of "my" power itch ( as you put it ) and fuel mileage come's second with that for me . Lets try and look at it this way . What do you have for parts for the install of either motor ?

I have a 1978 Dodge little red express. I have it down for restoration. It lived a hard life before I got it.
After I rebuild the motor, I thought I would use a A 518 overdrive transmission with the lockup converter.
The block lost a rod a so I am starting over with a different motor. For a transmission I thought I would
use an A 518 overdrive with the lockup converter. like to here your opinions. I retired a Tool& Die-maker
/Mold-maker in 2006. Started that in 1969. Before that I was a car & buss mechanic. I have a 1972, 360
cu.in. out of an RV, also a 1975 360. The RV motor is low mileage. Need to get them apart and see what I got.
The RV will have a lot of parts that may interchange with Little Red, like light switch ect.

Welcome aboard "Indiana Lil Red " ! I don't want to jump on "440Runners" thread but to answer your question . The 518 swap is definitely doable and a fairly easy swap . You will have to cut your drive shaft though because the 518 is a little longer . Now were you also asking our opinion about which motor you should use ? Or were you just describing what you had ? That could be a whole new thread . :becky:

First I plan sticking with the 360. The original is toast. It through a rod. got the block. Cam had a Flat lobe.About all that is left is heads and intake manifold. I have a 1975
360 out of a Cordoba. Haven't taken it apart to see what shape it's in. Have a 1972 Coachman RV parked in the woods. I think it has 49,000 miles on it. on the outside
is ruff. Thought I would use that motor. For a cam I want something that sounds and performs good, bunt want something manageable because my wife wont be happy if
it's hard to drive. I am looking forward to the rebuild. Started working in a garage in 1959 after school and Saturdays. First job was rebuilding a 318. That's when cars could be worked on easily. Hope the clarified some things. Dave in Indiana

If you want some suggestions or inputs on which motor to use or what to do with it you should think about starting a fresh thread on it . I just don't want to highjack "440Runners" thread . Either motor will have low compression and the heads probably wont be the greatest for flow , especially the motor home heads .

Back