• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lets see your Dodge trucks! Post some Pic's!

The 79 did, but it was available in 80 also. Guy would come into the parts store with a step side and one day shows up with a different truck. I asked him when he got his 79. He says it's an 80. Had a Slant 6 and a 4 speed, 1/2 ton 4x4. That's when I learned about the 79 grille being on 80's trucks.

-Yeah the early 1980 trucks had a '79 Grille because they were actually manufactured in '79, and carried the left-over parts.... BUT didn't those grilles, get the quad-headlights replaces with singles per side, to show the difference even on the early 1980 models? -At least thats what I thought they did anyway, I could be wrong!

my truck is a 1980 one .VIN checked she has the quad light grille and no ram on the tailgate.

moparlowering truck  071.JPG

79 and 80 where the only year's with the quad lights as well as the single round headlight grill's . The 1980 grill's where painted different then the 1979's . If you look at Fred's grill , It's all blacked out in the middle . Now look at the paint on my 79 grill
IMG_4770.JPG

-Damn guys that makes it so confusing. SO then, at what point did they go single headlights in the '80 model? Late year, right?

The differences in the 2 trucks that you 2 pictured, I bet is ones a true '79, and the other is late '79 early '80 manufacturer. and they blacked out one and not the other to add to the slight differences!

My truck is definetly an early 80 model buildt in Warren Michigan and got a" made for export tag"maybe a late 79 assembled truck.Who knows?

-Damn guys that makes it so confusing. SO then, at what point did they go single headlights in the '80 model? Late year, right?

The differences in the 2 trucks that you 2 pictured, I bet is ones a true '79, and the other is late '79 early '80 manufacturer. and they blacked out one and not the other to add to the slight differences!
No , Both the 79 & 80 also came with a single round head light on each side . It all depended on what someone ordered , trim level or what the factory decided to put on it . And just like with the quad light , the only difference between the years was the painted section in the middle . Also , both years shared the same radiator support no-matter which grill it had .

67PW, it confused the hell out of me too, until I figured it out. No carryover parts, just 2 options based on how it's was ordered, like bear said.

I have yet to see a '79 tho with single headlights..... Everyone I have ever seen to date has had dual headlights, thats why I thought the '80's were all singles as thee only one I seen with singles was after the '79 model year, OR early 1980, that were made in late 1979..... The grille tho, I knew they painted the 2 years slightly different, same grille really just painted 2 different ways! One as pictured all blacked out and the other had the horizontal areas split side-to-side.

yes its 76/78 grille with the birdbath hood 79 get a different grilleas you can see just got the pic on the net

1d100low.jpg

Truck i thot was 79, but as much other crap had been done to it I guess there's no reason to expect an original grille.

Isn't that a 76-78 grille, not a 79?
That's a 77/78 grill . The only difference between those's two years where the color of the parking lights . One year they where clear and the other year they where amber . I always mix up which one was which . Here's the clear one's .
IMG_4040.JPG

Oh!!! just thought that they were white for the77 m880 series special order tor the military camo truck.

I've seen 880's with the amber lights as well .

Yeah thats a '77 to '78 not a '79...... -I owned a '78 like this!
Believe it or not , the 77/78's where my favorite years . I wish I still had the 78 Ramcharger I had . It was flat black , 4" lift , 33' bfg mudders all the way around and a built small block . I got about 17 MPG spinning all four tires and that bad boy would climb trees if I wanted to and if I didn't want to climb them , I could pull them down ! lol ;)

My trusty ole d 200 a fire truck in her previous life. Sold as a Mowag -Dodge truck in switzerland chassis cab pto powered pump on a special bed .She spend most of her life on the tarmac of an airport... Bought her on the auction and slowly bring her to life. the original 360 is only 28000km Got her as a" running cab" just added a m880 bed and a 72 grille the 76 one was in very bad condition. Truck will stay my daily driver...

double cab.jpg

Back