• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Large Horn on '99 F350

OldMcDonald

Reaction score
I have a '99 F350 and I have a large alarm horn (non air) from an old warehouse. The horn is 120V AC which obviously doesn't match up with 12V DC. So I need some suggestions for a good inverter, and I need to know where I can fit the horn. it's probably 1.5' - 2' long. The truck has a 7.3l so I don't know if that would affect where I'd be able to put it. I know there isn't very much room right under the hood, but I haven't looked at the underside of the truck for somewhere to put it. Like I said, it doesn't need a compressor, just an inverter, and a button run up to the spare button space on the dash on the left side of the radio.

Thanks guys,
-OldMcDonald

.75*120=90
Looks like a simple lighter inverter would do the trick. But 100 watts would be safe with a fuse.

.75*120=90
Looks like a simple lighter inverter would do the trick. But 100 watts would be safe with a fuse.
The only inverter I've found so far is one that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I don't think I'm searching up the right ones. Any recommendations? And do you have any suggestions on where to mount the horn?

Harbor Freight has a selection of smaller inverters. Even if it's 1000 watts running it not pulling that much of a load.
As to location will not be much help.

Get a different horn. Look at FIAMM dual note trumpets. Will wake the dead in East St. Louis after midnite. Used on emergency vehicles.
I think HF has them or similar knockoffs. I have a pair on both my moorsickles and were tested in East St. Louis. Saved my bacon.
They draw plenty of current so use the supplied relay.

If using the ones form HF stay away from the plastic ones. They don't hold up over long. I went back to newer styled horns off I don't remember what on that truck.

Did ya get what you were after?? I'm kind of late to the answer but any local auto parts store (o Rielly's,NAPA,Autrozone, ETC) should have or can get an AIR HORN kit. most even as high as 125db are less than $80. Or you can get those "TRAIN SOUND" ones for around $200.

Back