• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Kermit the truck...

Revhendo

Reaction score
So yeah, I don't get over this way much. I have this 76 GMC half ton long bed that has been with me for the near side of forever. She's rusty but faithful (mostly). I got her for nothing, just had to put her back together. Had an engine that survived my ex-wife to drop in, so no big deal. Until now. Which ain't bad considering she's caught on fire, been rear ended by a Lexus, has a weird little homotron problem that should be fixed after rewiring the engine bay. The other day, after a long day at work, I fired Kermit up to go home and got a real nasty box of bolts sound when I kicked her off of high idle. I love the truck. Deb loves the truck. Soooooo......
The damage of exhaust seat failure

IMAG0215.jpgIMAG0216.jpg

Out with the old
IMAG0233.jpg

In with the new (to me).
IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

Love those old GMC trucks. I had a '75 GMC Sierra Grande 3/4 ton 4x4,which was my first pick-up I bought used back in 1988.

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

Not a bad lookin ol truck! Any more pics? Engine tranny details?

The surface rust is a bit excessive. I should've paid more attention to it earlier, but hey, it's the parts chaser...

Oddly enough, I don't have a lot of pics of her. It's an original 454 truck, but I tossed in a 350 when I got it. (The previous owner wanted the big block and cast the truck off, that's how I got it). It still has the original T400 trans that has proven almost kid proof. This puppy has always been low buck for me. I pretty much have scrounged everything I needed for her through the years, so it has kind of developed into a theme. The factory wheels and Michelin tires were something like 80 bucks for all four and have been on there for about three years. I still have the original hubcaps which are pretty cool.

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

Love those old GMC trucks. I had a '75 GMC Sierra Grande 3/4 ton 4x4,which was my first pick-up I bought used back in 1988.

I love that truck! I had actually thought about a 4wd conversion on Kermit, but unless a rollover falls into my lap or gas goes back under 2 bucks a gallon, it ain't gonna happen. Take note of the Grand Wagoneer next to the truck, one dinosaur sucker on the the family roster is enough.

Well, just to update,
I got the transplant in last Saturday. Sunday was the day to nail down the details. So..

The water pump that was on it wouldn't jive with my P/S bracket and the boss on my new water pump was drilled and tapped instead of being drilled all the way through for the pivot bolt. My compressor was having issues and my electric drill crapped out on me. DOH! So I figured I would finish up underneath and bolt up the converter and whatnot. Well, one of the lugs on the converter was stripped out and the bolt wouldn't tighten up. Thinking I'm smart, I rotate the converter one lug (there's six and only three are used) and try again. Guess who has two stripped lug holes in their converter. DOH! So I figured I would just button up the topside, swap the valvecovers out because the shiny tall ones won't work with my plug wire retainers and accessories. Drop the distributor in. Mount the carb and find out that my power brake hardline won't mount up to the port to the back of the carb because it gets bound up by the throttle cable mount..... DOH! I'm done for the day........

Soooooo, Monday at work, I drill out the boss on the new water pump, grab my 10x1.50 tap and a metric converter bolt. When I get home, I'm back on track. Waterpump is on, accessories are bolted up, converter lug tapped up to the metric size and the bolt installed. Exhaust pipes bolted on and it's late. Sooooo until.....

Tuesday.
Get home late, drop in the new spark plugs (which look way cold, may have to change that). String in the plug wires and top off the coolant. Anyone notice I didn't mention the power brake vacuum line issue? Yeah, me too. So I grab a one inch spacer off of my shelf and drop it on. The line mates up, the bogus fuel line looks happier, life is good. So, it's time. Still no love on the drill front, so I spin the engine without power to the distributor to get oil pressure up. (I know, but it's a used engine that ran decently, ya work with what ya got). Hook up power, fill the float bowl, cross my fingers and hit the key.

She cracked to life on the second revolution. Runs a little lumpy and LOUD as hell. Apparently I mucked up the donut on the passenger side head pipe. DOH! It's nine thirty, I am not going to cheese off the neighbors, I'm going to bed..... Sooooo....

Wednesday
Get the donut swapped out, do a little base dialing on the carb and she starts right up, set the timing and she runs pretty good. A little more cam than I remembered hearing, but not bad at all. I probably will have to monkey with the carb and maybe change up the curve on the distributor, plus I am seriously thinking about a hotter plug, we will see. For now, it's some test and tune around the neighborhood.

Kermit lives again.....

I should probably start doing something about the rust.......

or maybe a 6.0 LS swap....

a 6.0 would really scoot Kermit down the road!

Bwa ha ha ha! Yeah, it sure would, but it would take away from the second hand low buck theme. I gotta save my coin for a LS swap in our Wagoneer.

Weird thing is, I was talking to a good friend of mine tonight that has a Ford Unibody truck with a 6.0 in it. We were going over the pros and cons, I'll have to talk him into joining....

Weird thing is, I was talking to a good friend of mine tonight that has a Ford Unibody truck with a 6.0 in it. We were going over the pros and cons, I'll have to talk him into joining....

Please do! We need more members to get this place more active

Back