• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Introducing FTO's Newest Member: Nate

Nate

Reaction score
Hello All,
I recently found this forum while searching for some place that represents all brands and experiences. I'm writing for advice on my next truck. First a little back ground. I was raised around diesel trucks ( except that one year my dad had the V10 triton ...) and Ive been driving trucks for the last ten years or so. My only personal experience with diesel owning, maintaining, and modifying was for 3 years I owned an older Volkswagen Jetta TDI. Currently I'm driving a 2000 Toyota Tundra and its a truck I very much love. Its light and capable off road and for its size its just a capable as most modern 1/2 ton trucks. Yes the new trucks can tow 11 or 12 thousand pounds but 99% of trucks are not optioned out that way. For just a guy and a girl its perfect but now with two kids in car seats that small back seat just aint cutting it. Also me being the second owner and knowing the first since it was new I happen to know this 18 year old truck with over 300k hasn't had any work needed except regular maintenance; brakes and fluid. I'm sure I could never be that lucky again but that is the most important factor in my next vehicle.
Things I need in a truck are Extreme reliability and or ease of repair/ maintenance, 4x4, full crew cab and a little more towing capability than I have currently.
With a new truck we would also like to purchase a travel trailer and don't want to be pigeon holed into the tiny ones, though I definitely don't need a humongous 5th wheel.
Budget is most definitely a concern as well and I would need payments to be about 300-350 max.
Some trucks that have peaked my interest within these parameters are:
7.3 Powerstroke Superdutys
Early to mid 2000s Chevy Gas and Diesel
and the 2011 and up F-150s
I don't have any brand loyalty but I do have experience with many of these. I like the Fuel economy of the diesels but I think it rounds out with the higher maintenance and fuel costs.
My fathers currently drives a 5.9 Cummins and while I believe its the best of the older diesels The back seat in the crew cab doesn't quite fit for my family. Two of my uncles have F-350s bought new in 2003 which they still drive. And my mother-in-law had a newer F-150 that seemed to be just exceptionally well designed, well put together and just smooth.

So, Sorry for the long first post but I really need some more people's experience and advice on what to go with as I need to make a truck purchase soon. Thank you for your input, and I look forward to learning from this new to me forum

Nate

Also if any moderator thinks this post would do better elsewhere please feel free to move it or tell me and I will.

Welcome from the Mitten, quite the range of trucks your looking at. The last year for the 7.3 was 03, still a good engine. The Chevy's are good, 1/2 ton 5.3L are good runners, 3/4 ton 6.0L are good runners also but the fuel economy is 10-12 mpg, 6.6 Duramax good runner and Alison trans is great. The Ford F150 you want the new 5.0, the 3.5 Ecoboost is ok, but fuel mileage isn't great. The Dodge Hemi is good and the 5.9 Diesel is good.
Your going to have to decide if you want a 1/2 ton or 3/4, 1/2's ride better but your looking at gas engines only. Good luck

Back